Home Forum Ask A Member 1953 Martin 20 Gas Tank

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Anyone ever take the “two piece” Martin 20 gas tank apart?
      It has machine screws around the bottom perimeter, and on the top side, inner perimeter.

It’s aluminum, so no rust of course, but it was thick was old dried gas crud and a bunch of rubber stuff inside.
      I’m not sure what the factory sealed the seams with, or if it was really meant to come apart again.

I shook it with acetone and screws inside off and on for two days, and it was better, but not near good enough
      to run the motor. My last attempt was a muriatic acid dilution, which didn’t do a whole lot other than make the
      upper seam start leaking after a few minutes. The acid was reacting with something, as the tank started getting
      a little warm. I thought best not to leave the acid in too long, so I washed it out with lots of water.

DSCN0618

Prepare to be boarded!

jcrigan
      Participant

I have taken a few Martin 40’s apart. It’s best to do this as that sealer will eventually flake off and plug things up. You can make your own gaskets or order them from the Martin guy. If you make your own, use seal-all or some other sealant to coat the new gaskets.

Buccaneer
        Participant

Sealer isn’t a good option anyway, unless I can get it super clean inside…….
          or course if I can get it apart, I can get it clean.

Did you have to use heat on the seams to get the tank halves to release?
          Whatever sealer oozed out of the original seam appears to be “hard as rock”.
          Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

jcrigan
          Participant

I had a Martin 45 that had the red stuff in there. It was on the outside of the seam in addition to the inside. Add to that it was also in the tube, shutoff valve, and carburetor bowl. It wasn’t glued together very tight as I think the previous owner never took the tank apart. The red suff is very rubbery and i had to pull the two halves apart like it was a giant rubber band.

Buccaneer
            Participant

I tried heating the seams up with a bottle torch and then using a plastic hammer
              to separate the halves, but got nowhere!
              I think I’ll go back to cleaning the insides of that tank some how, then slosh
              a little sealer inside to reseal the seams.

I see on YouTube where people have made a “shaker” using a washing machine
              transmission to shake things all about, but my wife said “No”!

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
              Participant

I took mine apart and found ton of gunk inside, as you have. I can’t see a slosh sealer working with all that crud from the original seal in there.
                Upon advice of another member on this forum, I resealed it with an aircraft tank sealer, figuring if it was good enough for airplanes, it must be good enough for an outboard. He was right, it worked great.

I’ll have to search and find the info for the product. Be back inn a few………

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by frankr.
                frankr
                Participant

This is the stuff and the place, but you certainly don’t need such a big jug of it. I’ll leave it up to you to do the legwork to find it in smaller packaging, At the time, I bought a 2 oz cartridge, which was just right for my Martin tank.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/09-38560.php?msclkid=5666a6e808011e08ee7bc66ec8d8975e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=TNT%20-%20Shopping%20-%20NB%20-%20Desktop&utm_term=4580977758706259&utm_content=All%20Products

Buccaneer
                  Participant

Frank, I’m sure that tank sealer is great stuff, but not sure it’s going to be worth the money for
                    this little Martin, and I have POR15 and Kreem in my supply cabinet. I’ve used Kreem twice
                    now, and kind of like that.

Maybe I’ll have to try harder to get the tank apart. If I continue with the torch to heat the seams
                    up “Ted” will go up in a puff of smoke.

I checked the compression at 75 psi before I tore the motor apart, so thought I was good
                    to go. I was disappointed today when I could not get it to rope start, using a temporary fuel tank.
                    Finally got the drill out and couldn’t get it to run for more than a few seconds in the test tank.
                    Finally took it out of the water and it did stay running, but of course, I couldn’t run it long enough
                    to ever try adjusting the carb.
                    I’ll probably recheck compression tomorrow.

Looks like a Martin 20 Racer!
                    DSCN0765

Prepare to be boarded!

chevy55belair
                    Participant

….I just picked up a Martin 20….I am getting ready to take it apart to restore the paint job. I have been reading about the issue of the gas tanks leaking. So I am curious if anyone has come up with the solution of splitting the gas tank….for reseal…prior to assembly ???

Thank you…. Steve….Bowling Green Ohio

Buccaneer
                      Participant

I have hopes to make a “gas tank shaker” so I can thoroughly clean
                        the insides of my Martin tank (and others) so I can get it clean enough,
                        and just put gas tank sealer in it, so I don’t have to worry about destroying
                        the tank to get it apart.
                        I always save the “gas tanks” as the last item to address when going
                        through outboards…….. they’re no fun, lol.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.