Home Forum Ask A Member 1960 Merc 300 Cowling Front Cover painting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MarkD
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have rebuilt (with great help) a 1960 Merc 300 (35 hp) that is now running great after sitting unused for most of the time since it was produced. Much of the paint (Cloud white) is pretty good, except for the cowling front cover. How was this painted originally by Mercury, and what is the best way to paint it now?

IMG_1721

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m waiting to see if somebody answers this, too. I wonder how it was done at the factory? My guess is some kind of stiff roller?

Man, that is a nice emblem!

Long live American manufacturing!

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well…. here is what I would do..presumably on a aluminum face plate

1- strip-remove all white/beige paint to bare metal
          2- mask off the center zone to protect the logo !!!
          3- clean/polish/sand the top & lower black bar areas with folded 120-150 grain paper as much as possible
          4- mask out the “inside portions” of the top printed MERC 300 black lettering , lower knob & << >> zones
          5- Prime with yellow Chromate paint over bare aluminum sections
          6 -mask out the white sections now primed yellow
          7- Spray paint the face plate top/bottom horizontal bars section with with appropriate black matching color……. then surface sand away the horizontal bar top surfaces then reprime with yellow chromate with a pad
          8- mask out the top – bottom horizontal bars now reprimed yellow on top paint with Mercury black in the cracks
          9- unmask the white sections (made yellow from the primer coat) …..spray paint with appropriate Mercury white
          10- unmask the top & bottom horizontal bar sections and carefully apply white coat with a foam pad on the top of the bar surfaces
          11- unmask the MERC 300 , <<…>> & and knob & and paint black with a small brush

it is pretty early so take a look at it…. if not ok with you … adjust accordingly… with my limited tools, that is basically how I would proceed (spray cans only for me)

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by crosbyman.
          The Boat House
          Participant

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Mark . send your Merc plate to Tubs 🙂 🙂 then you will only have the rest of the motor to worry about 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Tubs,
                Is that original lower mounting one quarter turn hardware. If so nice clean up! You have the pin tool?

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mark . send your Merc plate to Tubs 🙂 🙂 then you will only have the rest of the motor to worry about 🙂

I don’t have a motor that has that problem….But SOMEDAY, i might! That’s why I want to know. I am not to OP here, though…So, yes, Tubs…please DO remember how you did that gorgeous tank band! Can I send you a bottle of Prevagen or something? (-:

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by billw.
                  The Boat House
                  Participant

Tubs,
                    Is that original lower mounting one quarter turn hardware. If so nice clean up! You have the pin tool?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.