Home Forum Ask A Member 1972 25 HP Johnson Outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Evinrude 25
    Participant

The seller advertised it is a good cosmetic. Here are the pictures of it. The lower unit was dropped off so it just has the piston seized.
      Could I able to restore it? This is not a good cosmetic condition as the seller advertised. Only $80 so the worst case, it could be a spare part motor.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Evinrude 25.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Oog. How long was it on the bottom of the lake? A junker until proven otherwise.

bobw
        Participant

That thing will make a good boat anchor. Judging by the looks of the powerhead, the lower unit is likely not in much better shape. You could probably make it into a decent motor if you can find a good used powerhead and maybe a lower unit. Surely not worth $80 as it sits.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

David Bartlett
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

JUNK!

David Bartlett
            Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

The Boat House
            Participant

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Don’t waste any more ATF or Marvel oil…..

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Evinrude 25
                Participant
                  lindy46
                  Participant

Look for a good used motor. Don’t waste time or money on that motor. A new powerhead is only the beginning. You’ll most likely need new magneto, points, coils, wires, flywheel, fuel pump, gearcase (maybe all new gears), etc etc. You’ll easily end up putting over $1000 into it. And you’ll have a $300-400 motor.

Evinrude 25
                    Participant

Agree. Too much work involved. I will keep an eye on some decent shape and put time and money in it.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, the old dog sure looks to be in tough shape… Not worth the $80 they want for it. But, I have surely been proven wrong before…. It’s an electric start, is the starter motor there and does it turn manually?
                        Like others have said, that nice new powerhead in only the beginning, I don’t think I would fork over $500 for it. I would surely drain the gearcase to check lube condition, you don’t need a gearcase full of water on top of everything else…
                        Sure looks like this thing was sunk and then left to dry out and rust up, but perhaps it was a victim of rodent pee.
                        If the seller wanted to let it go for $25, it might be worth the big gamble that it is salvagable. Otherwise, it will be an exercise in disassembly, and a source of pieces/parts for your other 20hp…

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 43 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.