57’ Johnson RD-19 35-hp Electric Convertion

Home Forum Ask A Member 57’ Johnson RD-19 35-hp Electric Convertion

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)

• Daniel Ziff

Replies: 5
    Topics: 1

The casting number on the ring gear is “203,486”. It has an “S” in a circle beside it. I will have to take a few things apart to get to the existing fly wheel. I do know it is original because I bought the boat from the original purchaser. Because the ring gear is so thick, the starter pinion would still be in “interference” with the gear in its retracted position.

Once I compress some photos I took, I will send some.

Dan Z

outboardnut

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 930
    Topics: 419

What I am about to write is to the best of my knowledge.
    I have done some research into casting number on flywheels because
    I’m going to need a flywheel for my 12 volt electric start conversion on a 1955 25 hp RD-17
    I will be using starter bracket 376885 (has point for hood)
    These are the casting numbers that I think will work for you.
    I don’t know which ones will accept a generator belt
    ring gear 203486
    Flywheel 580190
    Flywheel 580177
    Flywheel 580336
    Flywheel 580233
    Flywheel 580285

Casey Parr

Replies: 19
    Topics: 6

Daniel, that’s amazing! You have an original engine from the original owner. That’s kinda rare I’m sure. If you’re missing the stud then that bracket is evinrude. You will need the parts off of a 57 35hp. Very hard to find the 12v bracket tho. When you do find it, it will NOT be cheap. The flywheel is 580177. But like outboard nut says. There’s several flywheel that will work. The starter bracket is the problem. Has a small hole for 12v. Big hole for the 6v. The 6v brackets are easy to find. I had trouble finding a 6v starter or I would have used one. Just one spin on the 6v with a 12v system will last a while. But the part number for the bracket off the 57 is 376885 just like he says. It will not be cheap. If you can’t find one in a few weeks let me know. I can take mine off and go have one run thru the CNC machine here locally. But I have no idea what they will charge. It would be cheaper to modify a 6v or the one you have probably. Can you find the part numbers on your brackets and pull the flywheel for that number? Would help a lot. Thanks!

outboardnut

Casey-Have you taken 6 volt starter bracket and put it through a CNC before?
    It would have to be able to accept a 12 volt grommet.
    Very interesting fix.

Daniel Ziff

Replies: 5
    Topics: 1

Casey & Outbboardnut,
    I really appreciate your supplying information about my conversion! I just checked my flywheel number and it is #580191. So it appears that I not only need the correct ring gear, but I need the right flywheel as well. The ring gear I received from this “OMCman” in the conversion package I purchased on Ebay has a number 203486. The starter and bracket are #30508. So if I understand things correctly, I still need to find the correct Flywheel, Ring Gear, Starter & Mounting Bracket. The one thing I do have that I can use from the “conversion kit” is the starting solenoid and ignition wiring.
    I do have a few other questions:
    Are any of starters interchangeable with the different brackets?
    If I just use a solar battery charger to charge the battery when not in use, do I really need a generator? How many “starts” can one expect on 1-charger on a good battery?
    Where is the best place to find the parts I need? This site is a great venue however are their other options?
    I know these parts are somewhat rare, but I am so close to the finish line on this 3-year restoration that I can’t let a few more dollars stop me.
    The idea of using a CNC machine if all else fails is a great idea.
    I am still trying to find a way to reduce the size of my photos taken with my “iPhone”. My laptop uses Microsoft “Windows”. I have many photos I would like to share.

Thanks again, Dan

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Bob,
    Thanks for your reply to my post about my 1957 RD-19. Your motor components look a bit different than mine. The starter bracket is different. Your air intake shape looks different than mine. The housing over the flywheel looks quite different. I tried to attach some photos of my motor, but the files are too big. How did you “scale” your photos to fit within the he parameters.
    I’m not sure how much help your photos are goin to be with my motor.

Dan Ziff

If you are running Chrome, open your photo in Paint and the resize option will be in the top left corner.

outboardnut

Once again I am no authority with flywheels but here is my research
    580191 flywheel has no way to attach a ring gear
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/580191-flywheel-yy-johnson-evinrude-sea-king-25hp-3-6f/294016415568?hash=item4474be7750:g:a~4AAOSwOsZgKune
    Here is an example from my list what I think will work-Flywheel 580177
    https://www.ebay.com/p/1129637874
    I do think ring gear 203486 is correct
    The correct starter bracket for a JOHNSON(has point to attach hood) is 376885
    That you wrote is missing a digit?????????? (30508)
    As for a starter -You would need a 11 tooth
    Here is my disclaimer-
    Those are my suggestion please do your own research
    I would hate for you to buy the wrong parts.
    I hope other members chime in
    I use “Microsoft picture manager” that came on my laptop to resize pictures

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.