Home Forum Ask A Member 59 Evinrude 5.5hp shock absorber removal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    benj
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Progress is coming along on my 59 Evinrude fisherman 5.5hp, I’ve replaced the water pump and inspected the plate/bearing carrier underneath the pump(replaced it’s gasket as well). It looked decent to me, but after reassembly and looking at some pictures of worn carriers, I’m thinking that my shock absorber has sprung. The wear I saw doesn’t indicate the need for a new carrier, and being aware of the rareness/cost I’d be inclined to keep it as is.

Since I’ve re-assembled everything ,and removing the power head is a pain, is it possible to drop the skeg and remove the shock absorber from the bottom? Or do I just need to suck it up and pull the powerhead again?

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you must pull the power head no alternative since the shift rod is bolted underneath the head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVOedhzPP7M

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Is it locked up or tight after reassembly? If not, it probably is ok. But if it does tighten up,, you know where to look.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No, you can not remove the shock absorber from the bottom/skeg removal…It has to come out from the top after upper bushing/seal removal…

benj
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I figured I wouldn’t luck out and be able to drop it out from the skeg, but figured it’s worth asking the pro’s anyway. It doesn’t bind and turns freely. I know that the real test to know if it’s actually sprung/broke is to run it up in the water.

If/when I do need to pull the shock absorber out, how does it come out of the gearbox after pulling the drive shaft out?

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

look under the water pump housing

shock

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.
                elgin2
                Participant

Just curious,looking at the parts list,why is there a shear pin and a shock absorber?

Mumbles
                  Participant

It’s a hard drive pin, not a soft shear pin. No splines on these shafts to drive the prop. And the little cotter pin behind it keeps the prop on the shaft if it does shear.

elgin2
                    Participant

Thanx Mumbles. I understand now.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just curious,looking at the parts list,why is there a shear pin and a shock absorber?

your make a great point….This unit was a little “over engineered” for sure…. Why not just use the standard strength shear pin and forget about the pesky shock absorber….This would happen in the later 60s…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.