Home Forum Ask A Member Advice/Help?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    SWMCPA
    Participant

I live in St. Petersburg, Florida and have been around boating all my life. I have done minor maintenance on the boats and motors I have owned, but most work has been done by professionals. Now that I am retired, I am considering buying an old (50s or 60s) outboard motor to restore. I think it would be fun, a good hobby and I just wat to see if I can do it. My question is, where might one find replacement parts (I sure it varies by manufacturer and I am looking at Johnson/Evinrude motors) and are there other resources to help along the way? Thanks in advance for any input.

olcah
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

This has a starter list. I can think of several more excellent suppliers. But this will get you going. Suggest starting with Johnson/Evinrude motors from 1955-1958. These have good parts supply and are easiest to work on (my opinion.) Ebay has parts too. Also suggest reading a book “Cheap Outboards” by Max Wawrzyniak. Enjoy !

https://www.aomci.org/forums/topic/outboard-motor-used-parts-yards-suppliers/

SWMCPA
        Participant

Thank you!

Shear Pin
          Participant

Gano’s Outboard Part Sales, Salvage & Repair
            http://www.ganotech.com

nabmd
            Participant

Go to ‘Resources’ at the top of this page, then ‘Links’, then ‘For the old Outboard’, Then ‘Art Dekalb’, then “Art’s Extras”, and print off his Five Point Plan. NABMD

SWMCPA
              Participant

Well, I found one – 1956 5.5 hp Evinrude. Wish me luck!!

Buccaneer
                Participant

Sounds like a good one to start on, have fun!

Prepare to be boarded!

george-emmanuel
                  Participant

SWMCPA, consider joining the Florida Chapter as we have meets every month with plenty of people to help you. Membership in AOMCI is a requirement.

George

SWMCPA
                    Participant

Where are the meetings for the Florida Chapter held usually?

george-emmanuel
                      Participant

All over the state but primarily in Central Florida. We were in Casselberry last week. Nothing coming up for July and August but in September we will be on the Suwannee River at Yellow Jacket Campground and in October the big event is at Lake Shipp in Winter Haven.

George

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.