Did I just ruin my coil

Home Forum Ask A Member Did I just ruin my coil

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)

• Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

The JB Weld should probably be covered with a few layers of liquid tape as I’ve found everal epoxies on the market are made with iron powder and are magnetic and possibly conductive. The small terminals were sold individually at one time so soldering them on was the accepted method. The small wire you found was probably a thin braided cable about an inch or two long which is fastened to the secondary winding at its other end. If this connection breaks, then you’re in trouble.

Here’s a secondary winding wire and it measures about .002″, which is thinner than a human hair.

DSC00828

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 229
    Topics: 40

Mumbles ,I did not see a small wire like that . Or may not have noticed it . I put it back together ,grounded the plugs and looked for spark .. It looked like good spark on both sides .. Still not running right .
    When a condenser goes bad is it like a loss of power or just shuts down and not restart .It was a new condenser that Steve Woods had in his parts bin last year . I only ran a couple times after that .. The motor will start and run but loses power and just doesn’t run smooth . Points are clean and set at .020 .
    New plugs set at .030 .. I made a video of it and will post it soon .. This new hobby of mine seems very frustrating at times ..! LOL!

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years

here is a video..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzUfqZfBXEk

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Condensers (capacitors) do go bad over time and their original microfarad (uF) rating will get higher as they do. Bad or leaking caps will cause weak spark and burned/pitted points over time to. Your ’49 Speeditwin came equipped with a cap rated at .30 (.27-.36) uF so it’s replacement should be checked for leakage and to see if it falls in this range. If the spark at the plugs is weak, you can try closing up the plugs gap a bit to .025 and see what happens. This is all done after making sure the points are clean, polished, and free of any oil film before gapping them. Since the coil fires both plugs at once, it needs all the help it can get to do this.

joecb

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 906
    Topics: 92

One note on the proper technique for soldering to a coil terminal… to minimize the amount of HEAT transferred into the coil winding one must use a HOT soldering iron with sufficiently large thermal mass to melt the solder and make the joint quickly. In practical terms this means using a large tip HOT iron. Using your average pencil soldering tool meant for delicate electronic work is not good as it will take considerable time to get the joint up to melt temperature, meanwhile pumping heat into the coil.

Joe B

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years

Cleaned and reset the points . Cleaned and checked the gaps on the plugs . I was mistaken . They were already set at .025 .. I haven’t picked up any liquid tape yet . It ran pretty much the same as in the video . I think the points may be a bit worn . I guess I should just replace those along with condenser and coil . Somehow I have lost my multi meter .. I’ve looked everywhere ..My son in law swears he don’t have it .. That was my first thought Lol!
    On another thought .. I sure get a good bit of fuel dripping from the carb .. Is this normal on these motors ? Needle valve not seating right maybe ?

wbeaton

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1037
    Topics: 101

About the fuel dripping from the carb my friend calls them “Spitty-twins”

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years

This one on ebay

C4D4D499-0F8A-41A2-83BA-2A9982556B00

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by stanley.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.

I’m not sure this one would work . Here is the same part number . Says it’s for 1.5 – 3 Hp . And I think the mounting holes are not the same width ..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Andover-Coils-Magneto-Coil-for-1-3-HP-Military-Gas-Engines-PN-9786E128/392809816202?hash=item5b754a208a:g:xTgAAOSwNMVagSev

stanley

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 613
    Topics: 114

If the windings portion of the coil and the plug wire attachment point fit,you can replace the laminates with the ones from your old coil.

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years

The speeditwin is 22.5 hp .. That won’t make a difference ? Here is what I have. The plug attachment is side by side . The posted one looks like its front and back or just 1 . Hard to tell from the pics ..

IMG_0861

The mounting screws are 3.5″ +or- apart .

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.