Home Forum Ask A Member Gifted Engines _What to do?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

If it were nearby I’d be interested in the Elgin. I assume this is a West Bend.

Tom Alexander
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I wish I could tell you. I’m not savvy enough about outboards yet to be able to tell. Is there something to look for? I always thought they were a private labeled Johnson or Evinrude! Thanks Tom Alex.

JOHN HOLBIK
        Participant

Amuller I had one of the keyed 25 Elgins about 30 years ago.I ran about 5 tanks of gas threw it.It ran quite well but being a young guy totally focused on Johnson or Evinrude I was pleasently shocked when a guy offered me a hundred and fifty dollars for it.I set a record that day for the fastest time unscrewing the transom clamps and handing him the motor.Charlie ran it for several years with no trouble but lost the carb when he went into the big city to hit the bars.

Tom Alexander
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi: How do I tell if it is a West Bend all I know is found above Model # 571 59801 SN 9801 3064, 1957, 30HP electric start and a generator. On the front of the motor is a start bottom, choke, gear selector ‘knob’ maybe a throttle control.. Sizable battery cables come out from under the cowl. One notable feature is a keyed switch that seems to be some sort of governor. So if the youngest son wants to take to=he boat out for a spin, dad can set a limit or two on the amount of HP output I think. Pity the key is long gone!I will be in place to get more info Sunday if it of interest. Thanks Tom

kerry
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Elgins thru 1959 were West Bend according to Hunn’s Old Outboard book.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

seakaye12
              Participant

Yes it’s a West Bend. Here’s a reference that may be useful to others.

Elginmodels

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
                Tom Alexander
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the chart. I’m learning, but oh so slowly!

Tom Alexander
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Kerry: Thanks yet again! So much to learn, so little time!!

kerry
                    Participant

Most, if not all, info on what and how old an outboard may be can be found in The Old Outboard Book by Peter Hunn. Highly recommended by many in the club.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

Tom Alexander
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Kerry: I’ve got it. Trying to get gear case drain screws out this AM. I did find that what I thought was a corroded hole in the skeg was an optical illusion in the photo. No hole just paint flaking! That’s the big news so far this AM . I’m off to the other shop to get an hammer type impact tool. The little Mikita impact driver just won’t make it. More later. BTW I was able to download the ‘red book’ and I have a parts catalog with exploded views. As well as some pics. First things first, see if there is lube and what flavor it is. Thanks. Tom

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.