Home Forum Ask A Member Gifted Engines _What to do?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Tom Alexander
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi again Kerry: Hope I’m not boring you with the updates of what is happening with my Johnson RDSL 21B. Today I got the gear case split and the shaft with its gears etc taken out. I found the frozen driveshaft is that the piñon gear won’t turn. Frozen solid. I suspect that some water got by the seal below the water pump and came down the drive shaft and froze the bearing to the gear and Gear-case Assembly. I am sure that Johnson made a tool for removing this but I don’t have it. My fix was going to be to remove the seal below the water pump and the bushing (parts #22, oil retainer and #23 bushing) from their position to give me room and access to fab a driver or puller to work the Pinion bearing-upper, thrust washer-upper, pinion thrust bearing, thrust washer-lower,pinion bearing-lower and pinion gear itself, parts 32,36, 37, 38, 39 and 40 respectiely. That was the plan until late this afternoon I found that the oil retainer won’t come out and the bushing under it won’t move with taps from a hammer thru a rod placed on the edge of the bearing with the rod going through the splined hole in the pinion gear. At this stage I have started to cold chisel the oil retainer out being VERY careful. No luck yet continue tomorrow unless you or somebody has a better idea. I am hoping. I am using a very small cold chisel that I diamond sharp and the steel of the oil retainer is proving to be resistive. I have the pinion gear resting in a puddle of OB Blaster for the night. I see in the ‘Red Book’ a tool that the red book says is for motors just prior to mine, the RS 19 series. Makes me wonder because it is a threaded tool that goes through the hole in the pinion gear and has ‘hooks’ to catch the under side of all the pieces (I guess) then a ‘bridge is put across the flat gear case surfaces and a nut is wound down onto the bridge and tightened to extract the whole works. At this point I think I have to proceed with trying to get the oil retainer and bushing that live under the water pump out in order to work on getting the gear and frozen bits and pieceds out. I”ve put a few pics with this, they should be self explanatory. The components on the shaft look in very good condition relative to what I was expecting to find. Thanks Tom

Tom Alexander
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi Kerry: I got a piece of 1/2″ bronze rod and a 5 lb. hammier and got the pinion gear and attendant pieces out. Took a bit of pounding. The roller bearing surfaces will ll have to be dealt to, lots of rusty corrosion evident. Probably a new pinion gear as well because of the bearing surfaces. The seal that is under the water pump and the bushing under it is not budging. I hate to admit defeat and turn the job over to a machinist friend of mine, but maybe that will be what I have to do to ‘get on’ with this project. Here’s a pic of the place where the pinion and things used to be and a pic of that rascal seal with the bushing under it. Thanks Tom

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Which thread are you going to use?

Tom Alexander
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m confused about the thread thing. What are you referring to?

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It seems like you are discussing this engine in two different “theads-postings”….. Maybe I am confused. You have this post about “gifted engines” and another one about the RDS 21…Let me know if I am mistaken/confused…

Tom Alexander
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I guess I don’t know how this works. I am just hitting the ‘reply’ button to any comment I reply to and maybe erroneously thinking my reply is ending up in the correct thread. I must be doing something dumb. I’m only a process engineer after all, an an old one at that! I cannot even follow the time stamps of these threads! Thanks for patience, as far as I know ther are only the two threads you mentioned that I am into. I hope that’s the case at any rate! Regards Tom

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nothing dumb at all Tom. It is easy to mix the replies between two threads, especially if someone asks questions on one thread that pertaining to the other. I just don’t want to miss something, or perhaps mislead/repeat stuff because I haven’t read everything… Getting those seals out can be a royal pain in the butt…Be very careful, don’t damage the aluminum casting around the seal using aggressive “claw pullers”.

kirkp
                  Participant

Tom, don’t get discouraged. You can reply to a thread by clicking the red reply link in the post or you can scroll down to the bottom of the page and type in your reply there. One thing to note is that you don’t want to get in a hurry. Once you hit the submit button, it can take awhile before your post shows up. When it is “official” you’ll end up going back to the thread and your reply will be at the bottom. Some might be tempted to hit the submit button more than once, I know I have. I have wondered if that is how you’ll see multiple comments to a post.
                    Kirk

Tom Alexander
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Kirk: The process you describe is about how I though the ‘system’ would work. I am finding that ‘discouragement’ has to be put aside in this business of old motors. They are fun and rewarding though! Thanks again Tom

Tom Alexander
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi: I am writing because it seems you might have knowledge about this 1957 30hp Elgin I have. I have successfully found homes for all the engines acquired with my little Thompson except for this Elgin. The other day I had a good look at it and decided that kit might indeed run as is. First stumbling block is the fuel inlet nozzle. It is visible in the pic of the front of the engine on lower right. It’s unlike any others I’ve seen, do you you if there are hose connectors made or available for it? In all the docs I got with this ‘deal’ I got a parts book for the engine and an instruction manual for the Elgin “skipper” remote control unit. The page in the parts manual that references the fuel connector is attached here. I think part #16 is what I need? Notice there is no part number for the inlet fuel nozzle given, or maybe it’s part of the assembly called out as #16? What do you think? Also, does anybody know where I can get the missing units and pieces needed to put this fuel tank back in working order? It’s the original that came with the engine so It would be nice to have them kept together. Thanks for any comments or help! Regards Tom Alex.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.