Home Forum Ask A Member Honda Powered Lightwin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

A boat and motor package is being sold locally and I had to look twice at the main mover hanging on the transom.

A real air cooled ‘lawnmower on a stick’!

Honda-Lightwin

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m trying to understand what’s going on at the hybrid joint. There seems to be some kind of covering over the area of connection between the mower engine and the Lightwin base gasket area. It actually looks kind of professional but I can’t tell what the guy used to do it. He could have at least used a whole lower unit, though….Also, did he actually install what looks like a Japanese outboard’s stop switch on the engine cowl or is that standard lawnmower?

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by billw.
        seakaye12
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I wonder if there are other images shot from other angles?

It does look way better than the typical lawnmower on a stick.

Even the lower unit seems to look a bit different. Might just be the angle the picture was shot from

Not sure what’s going on with the speed control. Looks like the cable from the Honda loops past the tiller control. And the engine side of the loop appears to be a thicker cable???

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve seen some Lightwin lower units that pretty much break off that way….

frankr
            Participant

I’ve seen some Lightwin lower units that pretty much break off that way….

Yeah, the extension piece on the exhaust snout often gets broken off.

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Doesn’t everyone have one of those old mixed up thingies? Here is my Water Boy, I have not gotten it to run so good yet. I am ready to tear it apart and scrap it. It kept me busy a couple winters ago. I made it from a 14hp Evinrude leg. Don’t laugh to hard!

dale

if your gonna do it wrong! do it right!

IMG_0001-001

Water Boy!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by labrador-guy.
                • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by labrador-guy.
                Buccaneer
                Participant

I have my grandfather’s old push mower. It hasn’t run in over
                  40 years…….. maybe I better get busy and make on of those!

Prepare to be boarded!

JOHN HOLBIK
                  Participant

That old Lawn Boy is only around 1.75hp it still is pretty cool looking.

reivertom
                    Participant

As many of those motors there are around, I would never make myself listen to the noise of a lawn mower while going fishing.

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

On the other hand, one of the good things about a Lawnboy lawn mower is that it smells both like fresh cut grass AND being out in your boat….So a Lawnboy outboard is smell-redundant! A few thoughts about the one pictured in this thread: Like has been said, the horse power is low. If you’re trying to drive a 14 hp prop, that may be problem #1. Problem #2 is more subtle….Remember that on a lawn mower, the blade acts as part of the over-all flywheel effect. I will never forget as a kid, trying to run a vertical shaft, Briggs and Stratton, without a blade. It would barely even start or run, until I put the blade back on. Then it was fine.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by billw.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.