Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson A-25, SN 46333 – Won’t turn over

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    HARRISON JACK
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve cleaned this motor up pretty well -checked the compression, good spark, checked the coil/condenser, cleaned the carburetor, done the lower unit and water pump, replaced screws, polished the fly wheel…. CAN”T GET IT TO TURN OVER. This is the first Johnson I’ve worked on and since I’m fairly new to OMCI haven’t used this forum before. Thought I’d ask for suggestions – much appreciated.
      Harrison

b-morrison
      Participant

Canada Member

do you mean its seized

The Boat House
        Participant

HARRISON JACK
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No, when I pull the cord, combustion will not take place and start. Pistons are not seized, have good compression. Can’t get it to fire up.

phil
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How did you check the spark? It’s harder to make a spark in compressed fuel/air mix than in open air.

http://www.omc-boats.org
              http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

HARRISON JACK
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Checked it in open air in an unlit garage – nice blue flame. How do you check it internally?

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member

open air 1/4in gap

need2fish
                  Participant

When you say “checked the compression”, was it with a gauge, or just by feeling the flywheel bounce ? In my experience, not much under 50 lights up or runs well.

If it is Ok , then you’re left with fuel/air mix and supply, are the rods connected to the correct side of the crank and if the rods are in the right place are the pistons upside down on the rods.

Carb lever needs to be on “S”, mixing needle about 1 to 1 1/2″ turns from lightly seated.

Spark advance lever should be just to the right of the centerline of the crankshafts whilst you are sitting facing aft.

If you have decent (60+) compression and the innards aren’t all scrambled, it becomes a matter of making small changes one at a time to the carb lever, mixing needle and advance lever.

Oh, and fresh fuel, 8:1 ratio.

stanley
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A small correction:carb lever should be pushed all the way down to ā€œCā€ for choke,then moved to ā€œFā€ when engine starts.

need2fish
                      Participant

Thank you — I did mean C, but my fingers typed S šŸ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.