Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson JW23 M

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    benj
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a 3hp Johnson JW23 M that was gifted to me to use on my old jon boat. The motor was very well kept and only needed a basic service. I’ve since had it running(in a barrel of water of course!) and am hoping to take it out on the water this weekend. I’ve been searching for information, but have only been able to find parts manuals and the diagrams on parts websites. Would anyone happen to have access to a PDF of the owners manual?

Thank you,

-Ben

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

it is just a 3hp feed 24/1 gas-oi feed 90 grade oil in the gear case choke… pull the starter cord close the choke 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

cajuncook1
        Participant

I agree with Crosbyman, regardless of what it states on the motor or in the literature. Do not use 50:1 fuel to oil ratio. Please use 24:1 fuel to oil ratio. That is about 5 to 6oz oil to 1 gallon of gas. Your motor has plain bearings and there are ton of 3hp Evinrude/Johnson outboards that are prematurely worn out due to lack of oil. Yes, it will seem to run fine on 50:1, but its life will be short lived. Trust me, I am speaking the gospel according to AOMCI wealth of knowledge handed down through experience.

Use a good quality TC-W3 2 cycle marine oil.

Do not use 2 cycle oil meant for aircooled or weedeater motors.

The synthetic blends are biodegradable and produce a lot less smoke.

Here are a few examples.

Pennzoil Marine Premium Plus 1 qt. Synthetic Blend 2-Cycle Engine Oil

Evinrude Johnson Premium TC-W3® Mineral Formula

If you PM me your email address, I will send you an owners/service manual for 1968 Evinrude 3hp. It is the exact same motor except for the decals….lol

Cheers,
          Cajun

benj
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks y’all, I appreciate the info. I’ll make sure to mix at 24:1 going forward. The motor is a family heirloom, and we want to keep it running for as long as possible!

Mumbles
            Participant

I feel more comfortable using 16:1 mix in these motors as 24:1 was meant more for motors with needle and roller bearings in them.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I feel more comfortable using 16:1 mix in these motors as 24:1 was meant more for motors with needle and roller bearings in them.

I agree with Mumbles, especially if this engine is a valued piece of family history. But, 24:1 is surely much better than 50:1 on this plain rod bearing engine…

lindy46
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I agree with Mumbles, especially if this engine is a valued piece of family history. But, 24:1 is surely much better than 50:1 on this plain rod bearing engine…

I always use 16:1 on my JW’s and Lightwins.

melugin
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I appreciate you guys backing me up on this. Was thinking about running leaner than 16-1 on a couple of ’66 model year 3hp motors. From your info, I’ll stay with 16-1 modern oils, while kicking in a little Lucas, Marvel, Ring-Free, or what ever is laying around.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.