Lower Unit removal Merc 450 1962

Home Forum Ask A Member Lower Unit removal Merc 450 1962

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)

• billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

For a pre-1976 Mercury gear case, that looks to be in great condition. If you reseal the gear case, pay attention to the shaft condition where the drive shaft seal rides. You will probably need a Speedi-Sleeve to cover up the rough shaft. Then, if you check and change the lubricant after EVERY USE, that gear case will last longer than you and me.

Long live American manufacturing!

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 229
    Topics: 40

Thanks Bill . The seal your talking about is the oil seal at the water pump body ? The small one that fits the shaft ..

dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

also replace the shift shaft seal.

billw

US Member - 2 Years

Yes….Replace that seal, for sure; and as Dave says, do the shift shaft seal, too. A Speedi-sleeve is an expensive (for what it is) gizmo that is carefully drive down over the pitted area of the drive shaft, where the seal in the bottom of the water pump rides. It is a very thin, stainless steel collar that still allows the same OEM seal to be used. If you replace the seal but don’t install a speedi sleeve on the shaft, the pits in the shaft will chew up the brand new seal in the first trip. Even if you smooth out the pits, it will still leak. Since the drive shaft is the fastest moving shaft AND has the most water pressure at the seal area when it’s running, water WILL get into the gear case, unless you do a good job sealing it up. Oil will also get up into the impeller area and wreck the impeller. I wish I could tell you the exact part number that you need but I don’t know it. You have to measure the shaft in that area and then do an internet search….or maybe Dave knows. I have found them for other Mercs with similar problems, on eBay. I think the last time I bought one for a Mark 25, it was $34. But it is worth it.

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years

What is the procedure for taking the drive shaft out of the gear case . The pinion gear on the bottom of the shaft have to come off ? Or is that a separate shaft .. If the gear has to come off how do you remove it . Looks like its fastened to the shaft with a screw of sorts .. I,m scratching my head at the moment ..LOL!

dave-bernard

+Sam give me a call before you go any further.
    1 914 310 7086 DAVE.

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years

Ok Dave I’ll give you a shout tomorrow afternoon when I’m back out in the garage ..

dave-bernard

10=4

billw

US Member - 2 Years

Well, that’s the end of that thread. Even though I was trying to help, I had expected that I was also going to learn something, along with anybody else that might have been following. Oh well.

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years

Bill I will still be posting to this thread and asking questions . I value all advise given from everyone .. But sometimes a conversation in person is worth a thousand post in getting the picture across to someone that has zero experience like me unfortunately …LOL! I will be posting more on this after I take care of some other pressing items .I have to put my wifes golf cart back together after I just painted it first . Then I have to get my boat, maybe 2 this year, ready for the Mount Dora ACBS show in March … After that then its full steam ahead on the Merc restoration ..
    Thanks Bill and everyone else for spending the time to help me learn so much about these motors ..It is a really fun hobby !

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.