Mcculloch 4hp no start

Home Forum Ask A Member Mcculloch 4hp no start

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 133 total)

• Mumbles

Replies: 5762
    Topics: 298

I have a good running example of one of these motors sitting in the garage and I can always pop the cover off to compare it to yours. I might see something you’ve missed. It doesn’t have points in it though as it came with a Nova II module already installed.

john8504

Replies: 169
    Topics: 31

It sounds clear and strong when I pull cord. The points are right as I look at them. I’ll take a pic tomorrow and post here.
    Yes cam is metal and is fixed. It operates appropriately.

john8504

Here’s pics of ingnition. How about do I check exhaust for it being clogged?

Attachments:

Mumbles

I’d be more concerned about the condition of the ignition components than the exhaust.

The points should be removed and cleaned of any dirt or scale and polished until they are shiny. The electrical connections look corroded to and the condenser has probably seen better days. This mag might fire a plug without a load on it but once the plug is reinstalled and under compression, it may not have enough oomph to do the job.

Attachments:

john8504

I’ll take them off again and rewire the connections and see what happens. I did take he points off once and used some steel wool to clean them up because they were corroded pretty bad

john8504

Where might I find a new condenser?

Mumbles

You want them smooth and shiny with no scratches on them for best results. Using progressively finer grits of wet n dry paper will give good results. Usually I start with 4-600 depending on the condition and finish up with 1500 but 800 will give good results to. A used piece of paper with the sharp tooth on it worn down works good to.

Mumbles

quote John8504:

Where might I find a new condenser?

That’s a Phelon mag with cap P/N PG or FG-7270? I’d try a Google search first or place a want ad in the Free Classified section here or if you can find the uF rating for it, replace it with a Vishay cap with the same or close uF rating.

Quality replacement Vishay capacitors can be found here at Digi-Key with ratings of 0.10, 0.15, and 0.22 uF to cover most outboard magnetos. Click in the upper right to change your country/location.

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?x=23 … =bc2607-nd

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en/capa … =bc2608-nd

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?ven … =bc2609-nd

john8504

I did pull points off again and there was a burn mark. Also upon inspection, they do not seat flat with each other. I guess I need to start with another set of points and condensor

Mumbles

Burned points are a sign of a bad cap. Try cleaning and polishing the points first and then source a new cap.

I found the original Phelon cap listed and it is P/N FG-7270 and is rated at 0.16 – 0.18 uF. (Microfarads)

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 133 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.