Home Forum Ask A Member Model HD 2.5 O.B.C Johnson

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kevin
    Participant

Hi everyone! Need a little knowledge here…
      The decal on the front of the motor reads Model HD 2.5 O.B.C H.P. I haven’t been able to find a year or serial number on it yet. The motor is green. I would like to get it to run. I was going to get new spark plugs for it. There are Champion J8J plugs in it now. If I am not mistaken it originally used J6J plugs. They don’t make those anymore. I read an replacement could be Champion J6C
      plugs. I ordered some from NAPA. Will the pistons hit these plugs and ruin the motor? If not what gap should they be set at. Does anyone know where I can get a manual for the motor? I dumped all the old gas out and will put in new. Anyone know the oil ratio? I could not find it on the motor. I would like to try and start this puppy up this weekend.
      Thanks very much,
      Kevin

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

HD-25 parts manual
        JohnsonParts-HD25

J6C plugs will be okay, gapped at .025

Prepare to be boarded!

aquasonic
        Participant

The front decal would normally have the mixing instructions, but yours may be faded or worn away. The mixing ratio is 16:1 or 8 Oz TCW-3 two stroke oil to 1 gallon of gas.

The model and serial number are normally stamped on the powerhead at the rear of the port side, just above the base gasket.

If the motor has been sitting for many years without service, then the flywheel will need to be pulled, and points will need polishing and proper gap. If you are lucky, the ignition wires will still be serviceable.

The carburetor will likely need servicing, with new primer washers, float, check valve, and fuel line cleaning.

The rotor style water pump, will also likely need replacing, along with fresh 90W gearcase oil.

Here’s a very helpful site: http://pochefamily.org/outboard/

lloyd
          Participant

The poche website is very helpful but please note that the price for primer seals and instructions is about 10 years old. I had to raise the price to 10.00 a couple years ago. Running short of proper leather to make more.

kevin
            Participant

Thank you very much for your replies. I went to the Poche site and it was very informative. Also I printed out the helpful parts list that Buccaneer sent. I do not think I will start it until I take care of some of the items that were pointed out.
              Thanks again everyone!
              Kevin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.