Home Forum Ask A Member new work on old 850 fgs 1962

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    markmcc
    Participant

I removed lower unit, found a lot of dirt in the exhaust housing thru the prop ports, removed dirt clog, drained oil out of lower unit, had a little bit of water in it, still hard to turn over , I pulled the impeller off, and now the shaft turns over freely spinning the prop, motor also pull starts over with plugs installed.. my problem now is I installed new impeller, I can not turn it by hand any more, will turn by turning prop, I cannot figure the shift cam out, it fell off of the shaft, I can turn shift shaft, to change gears , I cant find out how it goes back , two piece shaft shift parts thank you for all the other info (billw) I reedited this post, again, sorry, I looked up the parts, and found out they are the , upper and lower reverse shift lock cams, not exactly sure about there reassembly placement, thanks again.

markmcc

Replies: 0
      Topics: 1

August 19, 2021 at 1:43 am #245125
      Edit Reply

I have a 850 mercury , I had it running great , 20 years ago, now I am tinkering around with it. it sat outside in the weather, I got in the shop, cleaning it up. motor will not spin over, with the plugs installed in motor, I damaged the starter, got the starter rebuilt, it will spin the engine over with plugs out. I was told that the exhaust is plugged up, (dirt daubers), what would be involved, in unclogging exhaust. I did install a new water impeller, 20 years ago, thanks mark55 ourhome@crcom.net

billw
      US Member – 2 Years
      Replies: 1585
      Topics: 46

August 19, 2021 at 5:33 am #245126

I’d take the drain plug out of the lower unit and see if there is fluid in it, grease, whatever you want to call it, rather than rust powder. Better yet, take the lower unit right off and see if it spins over better. Old Mercurys are notorious for water damage and failure of the lower unit, especially after having sat a long time.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by markmcc.
      billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

From your post, I am not clear whether it does shift or it doesn’t shift. If it doesn’t, don’t worry too much….With patience, you can get the shaft back into the cam without taking the whole thing apart. If you could clear up whether it does, or doesn’t shift, we can go from there.

Long live American manufacturing!

markmcc
        Participant

the shifter does shift the gears alright, inside the lower unit. one cam fell off the top of the shifter shaft, I pulled off the other one, and now not sure of how to reassemble the two cams, thank you, mark 55 also can the waterpump housing ( impeller ) be tighten down too much.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by markmcc.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.