Home Forum Ask A Member Oil mix

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Pieklik
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I ran 50:1 in my 1960 10 hp Johnson. Real noisy. Changed it to 32:1 and it ran real smooth.

rudderless
      Participant

When I say worst of times I mean an overheat, marginal fuel pump or other lean condition one might not notice until too late. Motors with the piston thrust on the exhaust side of the jug are more prone to scoring on a lean condition.

labrador-guy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The oil I’m using is Pennzoil Full synthetic.
          It’s no longer being manufactured and I will
          likely run out of it next summer. I will likely
          go with another full synthetic but I believe
          using a synthetic blend provides the same
          protection. I choose a full synthetic because
          I believe they are more environmentally friendly.
          The Pennzoil claimed to be biodegradable.
          You see it is the worst of times.
          (Will outboards and inboards be next in
          California?)
          Would using a biodegradable oil and reducing
          the amount have lessened the assault on 2
          cycle motors? Probably not. It still maters
          to me what I put into the air and water.
          I try to be as clean as I can and still run my
          motors. I was born in 1946. When I go to the
          dentist I don’t want the recommended
          procedures from 1946.

TBH Wallie world list a Pennzoil Synthetic 2cycle oil. Last time I was there they had several gallons. Are you talking about something different? I also run my motors a little lean maybe 24 to one or 32 to one and I do like Pennzoil. The black transom and a big wad of goobers all over the lower unit when running 16 to 1 is down right embarrassing!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Marine-Premium-Plus-2-Cycle-Synthetic-Blend-Motor-Oil-1-Gallon/148974118?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227066773885&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=170876320968&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-276728538851&wl5=200513&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=148974118&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy4f21anL8wIV52xvBB03PgaTEAQYAiABEgKISfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Myzaswell Jusdoit

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When I say worst of times I mean an overheat, marginal fuel pump or other lean condition one might not notice until too late. Motors with the piston thrust on the exhaust side of the jug are more prone to scoring on a lean condition.

I agree with this logic and do the same thing myself. I am coming up on being a professional boat tech for nearly 50 years. Back when I was doing a lot of two stroke work, rings would get stuck and the pistons would melt down, a lot. OMC, Merc, Force, Yamaha, (yes YAMAHA, too!)….same thing. After the bad compression check, we would always paw around the boat and there it would be: Conventional Penzoil, West Marine, or some other crap oil. Quicksilver Premium Plus seemed to be the best.

I tell the story every time this subject comes up; but when I was a kid, a supposed good marine mechanic told me 50:1 was okay for my 1956 7.5 Evinrude with plain bearings. It went about 1000 feet and threw a rod. For the little time we actually put on our engines, why in the world would you want to take a chance? We are the guys that are supposed to SAVE these things, not blow them up!

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well there are many variables to this discussion for sure. No doubt, today’s OEM two stroke oils are much better than what was around back in the 50s. James, choosing an oil mix relies heavily on the older outboards you are running. Like Bill says, regardless of oil improvements, 50s OMCs with plain rod bearings require 16:1. Keep in mind that not all 50s OMCs required 16:1, even back in the 50s.
              Like others have said, I always mix for the heaviest oil mix for my several OMC engines. In other words, my two line OMC tanks always get mixed at 16:1, my single line OMC fuel tanks get mixed at 24:1. Keep in mind that none of my old two line engines have been converted to a single line/fuel pump system. My mixing routine would not work for owners who have converted older two line engines to single line fuel pump engines.
              I can’t speak for other manufacturers, except to say it is wise to follow their original mixing recommendations for a particular engine. Is this “overkill”? Perhaps, it really depends on how many old engines you run, and how many hours you put on them.
              This will always be a “hot button” topic. Keep in mind that most of today’s techs have little or no experience with older engines, and have no business commenting about them. Even some of the OEM/OMC recommendations from later years are absolutely wrong for some of the older engines.

The Boat House
              Participant

The Pennzoil I have been using is a full synthetic. It is made from
                natural gas and I suspect what is in their blend that that you’re
                familiar with. I have 2 gallons left. That’s enough for a bit over 80
                gallons. That is what is left of the 12 gallons I bought when it was
                discontinued but I had been using it for years before that.
                Dealers were providing service for engine failures when the heaver
                oil mixes were common. The “manufactures” began recommending
                50 to 1 when 2 cycle oil first became available over 50 years ago.
                I have been using synthetic oils since 1975 in some motors as lean
                as 100 to 1 and I have never had a failure. Actually in one case it
                extended the time before rebuild. I believe the person who started
                this thread is looking to run less oil. I am providing my 48 years of
                experience of doing that. He said after watching my video he
                thought that was proof. It’s not. I’m just another guy on the internet.
                He or anyone can consider it or reject it. The proof will be his own
                experience if he decides to do so. When considering how much oil
                is necessary you should use your best judgement.

james hobson
                Participant

When you were a kid I am sure the oil was crap, I would guess the synthetic oil today has 10x the viscosity and is much better oil I am not convinced that would happen with synthetic oil.

james hobson
                  Participant

I agree the proof is in the pudding, thanks for insight.

kerry
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Ratios are not about the quality of the oil but the quantity. Keep in mind the quality of machinery back when your particular motor was built. In the 1930’s, tolerences were pretty loose because the machinery was primitive by today’s standards. Lots of oil helped fill in the clearances. Things got a bit better machinery wise post WW2, and ratios thinned as tolerences got tighter when more accurate machinery was created.. Nowadays, CNC machinery is the norm, tolerences are measured in ten thousandths not thousandths, and thinner oils in smaller doses are used. You can take your chances with less oil if you choose, its your motor. Personally, I’m with Tubs, using full synthetic until my last half gallon of Pennz runs out, then will search for a replacement. I mix at mfrs ratio and add a splash of Seafoam to keep things cleaner inside. As the elders say, oil is cheaper than parts. I agree.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

rudderless
                      Participant

As far as pass-through applications go oil of yesteryear was not that bad. Modern oils are better…long term shearing and such yes but in pass-through applications not so much.

…from bob is the oil guy.. in fact modern oils for 2smokes have been neutered to some extent for pollution reasons.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 31 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.