Home Forum Ask A Member Oil type

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Phelps
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

So the original specs is 4 more oz per gal at 3/4 pint ?

Samuel Phelps
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Or was that with using reg motor oil ..

bobw
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The original spec was 3/4 pint per gallon and back in those days, the typical Evinrude recommendation was Mobiloil Outboard SAE 40 oil.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by bobw.
          Samuel Phelps
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ok ,so with today’s 2 stroke oil
            Being J/E premium tcw-3 or the synthetic equivalent what is the correct ratio ?
            I’m just looking for the best oil and run it at the right ratio …

bobw
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Well, I’m no expert on that Speeditwin model but if it were my motor, I’d run standard J/E TCW-3 mineral oil at the originally recommended ratio of 3/4 pint (12 oz) per gallon. With synthetic oil, maybe you could go to 16:1 (8 oz) but I’d defer that call to those with more experience on the Speeditwin. Even at the original factory recommendation ratio, modern TCW-3 oil will burn a lot cleaner with less smoke than the 1940s vintage outboard oils.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
              1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
              "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

sydinnj
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have and still use the twc oils at the original ratio that was recommended when new. Oil is cheaper than a new motor. my 1931 Faastwin calls for 1 and 1/4 pints per gallon I believe and it does not smoke when running.

Samuel Phelps
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think after all the reading on the subject my answer is somewhere between 8 and 12 oz per gallon . With premium tcw – 3 ..

Mumbles
                  Participant

There’s a reason some older motors called for heavier oiling than others so I wouldn’t stray too far from the original specs. Experimenting could be dangerous and trying to save a few cents on oil could be costly in the end.

I’m not sure about the older Fastwins but the Johnson KA motors have a large rotary valve on the crank and need an 8:1 mix as do the Evinrude Big Fours which also have a large brass bushing on the lower end of the crank. For high speed and racing, 4:1 was sometimes the magic mix ratio.

Heavy oiling has payed off for these motors as they are still around and running 80-90 years after they were built. I’d like to see where a modern motor will be after that many years after running on 50:1 and lighter ratios.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I’m no expert on that Speeditwin model but if it were my motor, I’d run standard J/E TCW-3 mineral oil at the originally recommended ratio of 3/4 pint (12 oz) per gallon. With synthetic oil, maybe you could go to 16:1 (8 oz) but I’d defer that call to those with more experience on the Speeditwin. Even at the original factory recommendation ratio, modern TCW-3 oil will burn a lot cleaner with less smoke than the 1940s vintage outboard oils.

I agree, I would stick with the original mixing ratio instructions regardless of oil used….

Samuel Phelps
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks everyone for the advise !
                        Pinching penny’s was never a thought . Just making sure I’m running at the right ratio and oil type ..
                        I’m sure I read somewhere here that 16: 1 was the correct ratio .. I guess I was mistaken …

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.