Home Forum Ask A Member OMC vs HF flywheel puller

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    wetwillie
    Participant

I just finished reading a couple of threads re: how great the OMC puller is for removing a flywheel that is as stubborn as the one is on my ’66 Ski Twin. Before I spend extra time and $ on an OMC puller, I’d like to know if anyone had better luck removing their flywheel using the OMC tool vs the one that Harbor Freight sells. I have been soaking the flywheel/crank interface with penetrating oil for several days while the puller bolt is under considerable pressure (administered by an impact gun) in addition to whacking the puller bolt a few times and heating the interface with a Bernzomatic until its hot to the touch.
      Will the OMC puller really do any better?

chris-p
      Participant

Well, I have it, and it definitely makes things easier. I especially like the built in handle, and the durability of it.

chris-p
        Participant

What you sometimes need on the big crank motors like the one you have, is leverage on the wrench you have on the center puller bolt. I had to put a long 4′ piece of fence pipe on my wrench I had on the center bolt once to get one to crack.

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I used mine daily for over 20 years and occasionally for 30 more. I’ve never resorted to penetrating oil or heat. Or waited overnight or days. A guy working in the shop by the hour can’t be taking that long to get a dumb flywheel off.

Disclaimer: Well then there was the one where some idiot put locktite on the tapers. I think I had to cut that one off.

wetwillie
            Participant

I wedged a piece of wood between the flywheel teeth and the lifting eye so it wouldn’t turn using a 3′ pipe on a breaker bar. I left it under considerable pressure for about 48 hrs now.
              Man, I HOPE the last guy that installed it didn’t use Loc-Tite.

wedgie
              Participant

I just bought one from Crowley Marine, but haven’t had a chance to test it out yet. I have a ’69 Ski twin flywheel that gave me fits getting it off with the harmonic balancer puller. Broke a few # 8 bolts before it finally popped. I bet the OMC pull set would’ve made short work of it.

I’ll try it out soon as I finish my house maintenance…probably sometime in the late fall 😡

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t have the OMC puller or the HF puller. If I were to buy a puller for OMC flywheels I would buy the OMC puller. It is a very well made and perfect functioning tool. I made mine out of 1/2" steel pate. I use the center bolt from abother purchased puller (since I had it and it saved me making one) and for the tough ones I use an impact wrench on the center bolt. Most of the time that’s not needed but that pops the stubborn ones right off. Thankfully I have not found one loctited on yet. 😮
                  My vote is for the OMC puller. I bet you won’t regret it.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

david-bartlett
                  Participant

Willie,

Even as a Hobbyist, your time is worth something!! And if by chance you break something using a marginal tool, there goes your savings.
                    I have the OMC puller, and it is a PLEASURE to use.

If you buy one, you will not regret it.

sydinnj
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I just used the omc puller on a 58 lark last week. They work great.on stubborn ones I put the load on the center bolt then pry the flywheel up with a heavy duty screw driver to lift the ply in the crank. Then give the center bolt a wack with a small sledge. then re tighten the center bolt. normally 2 or 3 times of this and it will pop free.

wedgie
                      Participant

Got it for $64.00 including shipping.

Pardon my ignorance …In what circumstance is the brass piece used ? Also, the two long brass colored bolts 😳 ?

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 88 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.