Power tool to rotate crankshaft

Home Forum Ask A Member Power tool to rotate crankshaft

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

• Carlasdaddy

Replies: 25
    Topics: 13

I’ve seen videos of someone using a power tool to start an outboard by rotating crankshaft. What kind of tool can. be used to do this? Is a 12 volt cordless drill powerful enough to spin the crank?

trex014

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 56
    Topics: 42

To spin to start and to spin just to spin are different things. If you just want to rotate the crank with the plugs out then yes the 12v will be more than adequate. I have a 8amp black and decker corded drill and a makita 12 amp corded drill and both started smoking when I tried to start up a 15 evinrude. Nothing was wrong with the motor, but just my personal experience.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

That’s why the recoil was invented. If you can’t start the engine with a functioning recoil, you need to address the problem of why not. Also, the flywheel nut has a specific torque. If you should happen to have the idea that an impact gun will start the motor, don’t do it. It will over torque the nut and damage the flywheel and maybe even the crank shaft. I am not sure whether a strong drill will over-torque a nut or not; but my guess is that on smaller motors, it probably will.

Long live American manufacturing!

The Boat House

Replies: 4550
    Topics: 111

Also depends on the size of the motor.
    I often use a battery drill for starting motors
    for the first time, checking compression, or
    on a motor that is hard starting, but they are
    early, low compression, small motors.

Carlasdaddy

I am talking mid-fifties 7.5 & 10hp Evinrudes

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
Topics: 298

I’ve found that a corded drill works better for starting purposes than a cordless drill. Cordless drills stop instantly and can be ripped out of your hand when the motor starts while a corded drill can be feathered back and lifted off smoothly.

The Boat House

Ratchet adapter can eliminate the possibility of the drill
being ripped out of your hand when the motor starts
no matter what type of drill you should be using.

sutterhome

Replies: 36
Topics: 2

DO IT ALL TIME ON 10HP OR LESS. THATS ALL I HAVE.SAVES YOUR ARM.ITS ALSO VERY NICE WAY TO YOU HELP DIAL IN THE HIGH SPEED VALVE, WHILE THE DRILL DOES ALL THE WORK

Carlasdaddy

Where can I but a ratchet adapter?

The Boat House

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.