Home Forum Ask A Member RDE-17 25 hp 1955 Johnson-Drain hole (water) NOT drilled all the way through to

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The video shows that the hole does not go all the way through to the weep hole
      Something went wrong in casting

dave-bernard
      Participant

drill the weep hole higher.

frankr
        Participant

drill the weep hole higher.

Dang! That makes sense!!!

outboardnut
          Participant

That would take a bit of creative measuring.
            But doable
            It would be nice to save this gear case
            The halves are a matched set
            I already sandblasted it
            Also removed the rusty race
            https://www.aomci.org/forums/topic/need-advice-how-to-get-out-bearing-race/

bobw
            Participant

I forgot this was the one with the rusty gearcase. As bad as it was rusted up, I’d bet it got a lot of water and dirt in it at some point and the drain passage is just clogged up. After watching your video, I was reminded that a couple of mine had the exact same metallic clanking sound when probed with a small rod. I measured the distance from the top of the gearcase to the top of the drain hole itself and marked that dimension on my long drill bit to prevent over-shooting the drain hole. I thought sure I might have been screwing something up, but I eventually worked through the clog to the drain hole. After all those years, that crap sets up like concrete in there.

On another one of mine, the passage was blocked up and I cleared with a jet nozzle on my pressure washer.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
              1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
              "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

outboardnut
              Participant

Its not clogged
                The hole never did go through
                When i pry at the walls of the weep hole
                There is shiny aluminum

bobw
                Participant

If you are seeing aluminum by poking and prying directly into the drain hole itself, that’s the inner wall of the cavity. The blockage is above the drain hole.

Gearcase-Drain

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                  1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                  "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Buccaneer
                  Participant

I believe the bottom weep hole is offset from the vertical drain hole a little ways,
                    and that’s why you are seeing shiny metal when probing ……. I believe on mine,
                    the vertical hole is a little off to the left of the weep hole.

Prepare to be boarded!

billy-j
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Most of them are plugged. You could lay the motor down on it’s backside to drain the cavity before standing it up for winter storage.

Be carefull what you do if it is not draining properly. I ruined a good 30 hp. johnson by carrying it with the power head aiming down going down a flite of steps. The hole was plugged and the water trapped in lower unit ran in a open port of the cylinder and over the time it was stored seized the motor.

lloyd
                      Participant

Video sounds like you are tapping on a rock (or possibly but less likely a piece of steel) that is imbedded in the vertical passage somewhere above the horizontal exit. This is a fairly common problem in cleaning out those old passageways. I cleaned out a number of them years ago. I fabricated a long drill bit from a steel rod, flattened the tip and sharpened the edges. Imbedded rocks are the toughest to get out but lots of tapping, drilling and patience always worked in the end. I wouldn’t drill the drain/weep hole higher up. Very risky and it will advertise the problem you are having.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.