Home Forum Ask A Member Tightening flywheel crank nut

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nj-boatbuilder57
    Participant

This is about my ’57 35HP Johnson, but I suppose the question could be about any old engine: is there a correct, recommended way to hold the flywheel / crank from turning while torquing the nut? In my case it’s 65 ft.lbs., but no matter…the question remains: Is there a right way to hold the flywheel / crank in place while applying the torque?

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I either use a strap wrench or a piece of flat iron for a handle, bolted onto two
        (of the three) holes in the flywheel.

Prepare to be boarded!

johnny
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I use a 48 inch Rigid strap wrench for all my motors.

nj-boatbuilder57
          Participant

That’s what I’ve been doing: using a strap. Just seems kinda awkward and I figured there might be a “right” way.

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There are automotive tools that lock into a flywheel’s ring gear. Depending on the exact design of the tool, they will often fit smaller, outboard ring gears. If so, they are a little less awkward to use than a stretchy feeling strap wrench. That being said, most of the time I use a strap wrench…..but that’s mostly because my engines are a little smaller and don’t usually have a ring gear. If I did a lot of RD/Bigtwin stuff still, I’d be using the ring gear flywheel holder. They look something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363256048061?epid=18044692444&hash=item5493bf69bd:g:ecwAAOSwxjZgUMJo

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.