Home Forum Ask A Member Top speed with 18hp Evinrude on 14′ aluminum

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    stephenspann27
    Participant

I think this powerhead had fairly low hours on it, the cross hatching in the bores is still there. Something lead to ti’s desmise, overheating or lack of lubrication. The thermostat was missing when I got the motor. Might be a clue..

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

When you remove the thermostat, the water follows the path of least resistance. This means most water bypasses the water jacket making the outlet feel very cool. The motor however, is usually getting less and running very hot.. . 🙄

stephenspann27
        Participant
          quote Garry in Tampa:

When you remove the thermostat, the water follows the path of least resistance. This means most water bypasses the water jacket making the outlet feel very cool. The motor however, is usually getting less and running very hot.. . 🙄

Agreed, and the water flow through too fast to really draw out much heat. I put a thermostat in it before I ran it.

Mumbles
          Participant

Smaller motors such as a 6 and 9.9-15 are the opposite and will run too cold without a stat and start fouling spark plugs.

stephenspann27
            Participant

I wish I had a good test tank where I could put a load on the motor and watch it with a infrared gun.

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Garry,
                Thank you so much for the tip on the stat, I own a 58 18hp Johnson & I like it very much!
                Jeff

wiscoboater
                Participant

One word of warning Stephan, do not try to run at speed in a barrel or garbage can. Idle only with a couple quick jabs of throttle. Get your motor to where it will stay running in the barrel but do your tuning on the lake under load. Adjust high speed first. Then go back and re tweak the idle. Good luck with the new powerhead.

Jeff

stephenspann27
                  Participant

I’m able to get 19mph now with a new to me powerhead from wannabee.

Mumbles
                    Participant

How steep is the prop on this motor? Numbers should be under the prop nut.

stephenspann27
                      Participant
                        quote Mumbles:

How steep is the prop on this motor? Numbers should be under the prop nut.

Prop is 9×10. I’m getting about 4,300RPM. Max HP is 4,500rpm according to the cowl, but operating range is up to 5k.

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 106 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.