Home Forum Ask A Member Ultrasonic carb cleaner…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Finally got one of those ultrasonic carb cleaners. Tried it out on an old crusty/rusty carb using hot water and pine sol. Seemed to do a nice job on the crusty jets, and nozzle, got most of the crust off the bowl and carb body also. But, the orange rusty looking coating remained. Just looking for tips and recommendations on non flammable solvent/cleaners to use in this cleaner that might help remove the rust staining from the carb castings…
      Any other tips would be appreciated as well….
      Thanks
      D

Rusted Junk
      Participant

Hi fleetwin,
        I use Extreme Simple Green Aircraft Cleaner, mix it 3 parts water one part Simple Green.
        Steve

DAN UMBARGER
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve been kicking around getting one of these. There’s quite a few out there…is there any of them to stay away from? What size works for most of what we do with our type motors? The 6Liter units seem to be a nice size by looking at the pics.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1DtY2VwSyY poor man’s ultrasonic cleaner 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
            fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Oh yeah, forgot about that CLR stuff, will give it a try!

Rusted Junk
              Participant

Hi Dan,
                The 6 or 10 liter are nice sized ultrasonic cleaners depending upon your budget. The one I use is a 3 liter which works good for small motor carburetors and parts, but if I was to purchase another unit I would go 10 liters or larger to have the option to do automotive carburetors and larger parts too. As for brand not sure which are better, seems there all Chinese made so you are just taking a chance there. I have to say they do a real nice job and make the carburetor parts look almost new. Hope this helps you.

Steve

1 user thanked author for this post.
                fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Tried the CLR, but was disappointed. Admittedly, I used a small amount mixed with hot water, but this is because the bottle said CLR should not be used with aluminum.. But, aren’t many coffee pots, etc lined with aluminum? Maybe I have diluted the CLR too much to be effective….

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

there are several rust removing gels .. one is made by the folks selling KRUUD have you tried a simple small wire brush ?

I do not think “stains” would be a big issue clog wise in your carb anyway

some of these rust removers use phosphoric acids .. I would apply only on the stains since the rest of the carb seems to have cleaned up enough

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/krud-kutter-the-must-for-rust-remover-gel-946ml/1001002124

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bob-d
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Don,
                      I agree with Rusted Junk, I have been using Extreme Simple Green Aircraft Cleaner for about 3 years and it has been great. Its highly recommended for aluminum. $14.35 a gallon at the link below

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/

My mix is a bit different being 50/50 with water.
                      If your unit has a heater, throw that on for about 20 minutes before you put the parts in.
                      My wife also likes it for her jewelry….ha ha .
                      Bob D

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

there are several rust removing gels .. one is made by the folks selling KRUUD have you tried a simple small wire brush ?

I do not think “stains” would be a big issue clog wise in your carb anyway

some of these rust removers use phosphoric acids .. I would apply only on the stains since the rest of the carb seems to have cleaned up enough

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/krud-kutter-the-must-for-rust-remover-gel-946ml/1001002124

True, the remaining rust stains will not cause any issues I’m sure…Just experimenting with an otherwise junk carb… This carb body has all sorts of walls/baffles up inside the carb body, can’t really get at them manually with a small tooth/wire brush…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.