Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 johnson QD13

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by bobw.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    grunt311
    Participant

Good afternoon, I have a 1953 Johnson QD13. I noticed last night while running the motor at 3/4 throttle small bubbles coming from the crank case. The bubbles are coming from the section where the cases halves meet. I made sure all case bolts were tight but and they are. I am assuming the halves need to be resealed but and nervous it maybe something more. If i tear it down and reseal what do recommend to make a good seal. Also does anyone have the torque specs on the crank case bolts.

Thank You
      Nick

bobw
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Sounds like you need to open it up and reseal the case. Either BRP Gel-Seal or Permatex Anaerobic Sealer 51813 would be the correct application. Crankcase bolt torque is 120 to 144 in-lb.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

grunt311
        Participant

Bob,
          Thank you. could this be the start of something larger or just bad seal?

bobw
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

From the description of seeing bubbles at the case joint, it should just need a reseal job. While you have the case open, also be sure to change the upper and lower crankshaft seals. I don’t have a parts list for that year model but I believe it uses a carbon seal with an internal O-ring for the crankcase seals, similar to later model QD motors. Just need to replace those O-rings.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.