Home Forum Ask A Member 1955 johnson 10 hp shifting issues

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hondaatc
    Participant

US Member

Hey fellas i have a 1955 johnson 10 hp runs good but it seems like the shifting linkages are not adjusted right if its in forward i have to go all.the way almost to reverse to get it to come out of gear and same with reverse and most of the time it will jump right from forward to reverse and vise versa is there a way to adjust this or is something else wrong thanks in advance

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Something is badly worn in the shift linkage. Remove the oval shift rod connector plate from the side of the midsection and watch the shift rod as you move between FNR. The shift rod should move as the shifter lever is moved with no slop or delay. Repair depends on what you find. Likely wear in the linkage below the powerhead or the shifter shaft, or more.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well it seems like the shift linkage is loose somewhere in the engine…Did you have the gearcase off? It is not as easy as you would think to get that brass shift rod connector connected properly…Take the little cover off and have an assistant move the shift lever forward and back while you watch the connector….You should see either upper or lower shift rod moving even slightly within the connector.
          Did you have the gearcase apart, or accidentally remove the shift lever pin (phillips screw) in the lower unit? Yes most of the 55 models did not have a removeable pin, but some might have it if the gearcase was replaced. If you had the gearcase apart, perhaps you didn’t get the internal shift fork linkage installed properly.
          It is possible that the shift handle adjustment screw has come loose as well, or perhaps it is misadjusted. The shift lever and shift shaft are separate and are tightened in place with two screws. This is so a final adjustment can be made to align the clutch dog positioning with the vertical shift detent fork….
          Finally, it is possible that the bellcrank on the end of the shift rod that connects the shift lever to the vertical shift rod is loose/worn/sloppy causing slop between the shift lever and vertical shift rod.
          Hope it is something simple like a loose shift rod connector.
          Don’t run the engine like this, clutch dog damage will occur…

hondaatc
          Participant

US Member

Thanks guys i did remove the side cover and shifted it when i went from forward to neutral i spun the prop it was still in gear so i pushed the shift linkage down with my hand and it came out of gear

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Are you sure there is not slop in the system?
              If not, it might just need to have an adjustment made to that shift handle fine adjustment I spoke of… Again, this is there to align the gearcase shifting mechanisms with the detents in the vertical interlock rod detents…

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Thanks guys i did remove the side cover and shifted it when i went from forward to neutral i spun the prop it was still in gear so i pushed the shift linkage down with my hand and it came out of gear

Well there ya go. Slop in the linkage system.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.