1955 Johnson 5.5

Home Forum Ask A Member 1955 Johnson 5.5

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Steve Hegge

Replies: 9
    Topics: 7

Good morning,new member..
    Restoring a 55 cd12 for my 15ft sabego runabout. I noticed head Mark’s on shock and found it was long and repaired with vise the bearing housing however was warn about 1/16 + when I tried to remove brass seal with puller I had just put pressure on the seal when the housing broke.
    So, need to get another bearing housing does anyone know someone that has one for sale. I’d hate to part this motor s its clean and I just redid the power head
    Anyone know best way to remove a 50 year old seal, I have the bearing head and shiftrod to do and am a bit gun shy now soaked the bhai for a week with pb and used some heat..out of ideas
    Thanks for any help

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

As you found out, those lower bearing carrier plates are fragile and break easily while trying to remove them. Now I use heat and lots of it on the outside of the exhaust housing to break the bond between the two. I don’t worry about scorching the paint as it is easier to repair than finding a replacement part sometimes.

On the bright side, a bearing plate from any 5.5 or 6 horse motor from ’54 to ’77 will work in your motor but if you want one right now, ME has repops for a cool $145.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0382796

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Mumbles.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Mumbles.

Steve Hegge

Replies: 9
    Topics: 7

Thanks for the reply , at this point I’m in so deep 150 added is not going to put this motor into parts dept. I will have a bunch of new parts for anyone that can use as more than half of the parts sent to me have not been correct. …and i have a few presure tznks ill not be using..
    If I may can i ask another equations or two. Paint in a rattle can.or suggestions …
    The water pump kjjt sent to me is much smaller impeller but the rest match wil this be a problem.
    Thanks so much I’m glad I found this site ..expertise is getting harder and harder to find..
    I have off grid place up in beaver river ny so no internet or cell I might be slow in any answers please be patient as I have several more questions as I get further…

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

If your replacement impeller is smaller than the original 434424 one, it’s probably a later 763735 impeller meant for the water pumps with a plastic housing which were used on the ’79 six horse motors. These pumps will fit any 5.5 or 6 horse motor from ’54 – ’79 and the complete kit is P/N 763758 and are standard replacement now for the older pumps with a metal housing.

CD-Water-Pump-Kit-763758

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4744
    Topics: 46

OK, well first I will ask if the upper bushing/seal housing is badly damaged? Is it cracked from the upward pressure of the driveshaft shock? Or is the bottom of it just galled up from the shock rubbing on it? If the bottom is just galled up from rubbing, it is still usable. Just make sure the ID of the bushing is clean so the driveshaft rotates freely. Needless to say, you are out of luck if the bushing housing is cracked or you damaged it trying to remove it…Someone should have a decent used on here instead of the pricey new OEM replacement assembly.
    Like Mumbles says, the replacement complete water pump kit is as pictured in his response, none of the pieces are interchangeable with the original set up. You could just use the original style replacement impeller that is still available, provided the aluminum housing and SS impeller plate are not worn excessively. But, I guess that ship has sailed if you already purchased the new style “kit”.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.