1967 Evinrude 6hp driveshaft roll pin

Home Forum Ask A Member 1967 Evinrude 6hp driveshaft roll pin

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• russ

Replies: 81
    Topics: 59

I pulled the lower unit off because the shift handle will move but won”t go into gear. Drive shaft snapped off clean at top of pinion gear.The roll pin is in two horizontal pieces and does not come thru the shaft.Could someone tell me what the length of the pin should be? Also what purpose does the pin serve? Thanks all stay safe. Russ…..

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Well, I wouldn’t mess around with a standard roll pin…The part number is: 303261. This roll pin is a very critical part indeed, it holds the lower crankcase seal pieces in place. The roll pin probably broke because the gearcase was pulled down without aligning the roll pin with the slot in the exhaust housing. If it were mine, I would pull the powerhead to ensure all the lower seal components are in place up there, and replace the oring and round gasket.
    The design of the exhaust housing was changed sometime in the 60s to keep the components in place up there, making it harder to install the gearcase without these pieces properly oriented. The problem is that you have no way of knowing if the pieces are in place without removing the powerhead….I guess I would have preferred that engineering left the design alone, but understand why they changed it….
    http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1967&hp=6&model=CD-24&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Gearcase+Group

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.