Home Forum Ask A Member 57’ Johnson RD-19 35-hp Electric Convertion

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Ziff
    Participant

I have restored a 1957 Johnson RD-19, 35-hp outboard and am trying to covert it to an electric start because the compression is so good. I don’t have the strength to “pull start” it. It pulls easily with the plugs out. I thought I purchased all the component parts; starter & bracket, ring gear, original electrical box, solenoid, ignition switch and wiring harness. But even though the motor and bracket readily affix to the motor, the starter pinion gear on the starter looks like it would never clear the ring gear. The bracket also does not have a place for the cowling stud. I am also not sure whether the ring gear mounts below or above the flywheel. There are other functional motor linkages that the ring gear would interfere with if mounted below. Starter pinion would not reach if mounted above. The electrical components are good, but I think I was sold the wrong motor & bracket, may ring gear too, not sure.
      Any wisdom or experience out there would be a god-send. I have restored a 1957 Dundee mahogany lake boat from Finger Lakes whose original motor was this same Johnson Big Twin. Going on 3-years of restoration work. Ready to put in the water if I can get this motor running!

bobw
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I did an electric starter conversion on a ’56 Johnson RD-18. If it helps you visualize any, here’s a few shots of my starter/flywheel arrangement during the assembly process. Yours should look fairly similar. Sounds like you have an Evinrude starter bracket without the cowl pin but it should work. The correct Johnson starter bracket would be part #376885. The ring gear mounts on the underside of the flywheel.

Flywheel-Installed

Starboard-View-of-Starter

Completed-Powerhead-Starboard

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
        frankr
        Participant

Daniel, it sounds like you have the thicker ring gear used on some newer models. The ’57 Johnson 12V starter bracket with cowl pin was only used on 1957-58 Johnson RD-xx models. Pre-1957 was for 6V starters.

Casey Parr
          Participant

I’m doing the same to my RDE-17 25hp johnson. Someone might have already took your original parts and swapped them to a 25hp. Gave you thier originals. What is your part numbers and I can tell you what came off my original 25hp.

Casey Parr
            Participant

Oh forgot to add that all my conversion parts came from a 57 35hp. That’s why I ask to check your parts to see if someone else back in the day gave your engine a twice over and stripped of the 25 conversion. Then donated your 57 with the old 55 parts. The 57 bracket is the only one plus the flywheel where a 55 can be converted. So lots of ppl want it BAD.

outboardnut
              Participant

Out of curiosity- what are the casting number on the ring gear?
                Also what are the casting number on the flywheel?

Daniel Ziff
                Participant

Bob,
                  Thanks for your reply to my post about my 1957 RD-19. Your motor components look a bit different than mine. The starter bracket is different. Your air intake shape looks different than mine. The housing over the flywheel looks quite different. I tried to attach some photos of my motor, but the files are too big. How did you “scale” your photos to fit within the he parameters.
                  I’m not sure how much help your photos are goin to be with my motor.

Dan Ziff

bobw
                  Participant

Daniel,
                    Yes, your motor is going to be and look different simply due to design changes between the ’56 30hp and your ’57 35hp. Not sure what type of computer/software you have for your photo files. On my Mac, I just got under Preview Tools, hit “adjust size” and change the photo width/height to reduce it if it’s too large.

I provided my photos thinking it might help you visualize how yours might look. It’s not going to be an exact match.

Edit – the starter bracket on my motor came off a ’57 Johnson. It can mount either a 6v or 12v starter and when I did the conversion, I wanted to go with 12v. As Frank R noted, sounds like you might have the wrong ring gear and/or bracket.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                    1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by bobw.
                    Daniel Ziff
                    Participant

Frank,

Sorry for my delayed reply to your comment. I think you are absolutely right. I bought what was represented as a complete electric conversion for my motor on eBay. I think the seller may have overstated the models/years that his kit was compatible with. I hope it was an honest mistake. The solenoid and wiring harness are still good. I have taken some photos of the new (incorrect?) bracket missing the cowl pin. I am not sure if the starters themselves are interchangeable from the brackets?

As soon as I can figure out how to reduce the “footprint” of photos some I can send them, I will.

Dan Z

Daniel Ziff
                      Participant

Casey,

I was fortunate enough to buy my antique boat and motor from the original owner. Everything is factory original.

Dan Z

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.