57 or 58 Johnson 35HP?

Home Forum Ask A Member 57 or 58 Johnson 35HP?

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    Joseph Nordstrom

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1
    Topics: 1

Hoping you guys can maybe solve something for me, more of a curiousity than anything. I have the electric start Johnson in the images attached. It has the 1957 color scheme and decals, no generator which I thought was a 1958 standard, it does have a wire coming off one coil down to the wiring harness leaving the housing that I believe is a kill switch wire, and the factory attached ID plate states it is a RDE-19 serial number 1628236. From the two handme down motor repair manuals printed in the late 1970s and MarineEngine all claim that model number to be a 1958. Now my luck runs that I have a tendency to accumulate 1/2 year machines that are a blend of upgrades and old design. Half year Fords have plagued me more than once in life.

I am freshening the motor up to be placed on a 1958 MFG and TeeNee trailer that my dad and I are restoring. Already ordered the 1958 script decals and had the motor paint color matched at an autobody shop and mixed so it will appear to be a 1958 to match the boat. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what year it really is. End of run, emptying the parts bins are what I usually end up with so I won’t be surprised either way.

Thanks in advance and great site. I’m sure I’ll be asking a few more questions on good sources of parts for the boat as well. Currently trying to find a match to the rub rail but not having any luck and may have to attempt to restore what I have.

JR

Johnson-35hp

Johnson-35hp-side

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by MumblesMumbles.
    Attachments:
    frankr
    frankr

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 5552
    Topics: 48

RDE-19 is a 1957. RDE-19C is a 1958. Really the same motors, different colors. Generator kit was an accessory item on both, and has nothing to do with it.

oldlure

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 77
    Topics: 9

1957 all the way. Electrical cable should be a 5 pin. Cowl emblem is held on by two screws.
    1958 were model RDE-19C

Joseph Nordstrom

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1
    Topics: 1

Thank you both. I knew someone here would know the differences and be able to help a newbie. The emblem is held on by 2 screws. Know it will bother the purists that it will not have the correct decals or color scheme but I really do not want to order a new set, as you know those are not cheap. And I do like the script of the 58 over the 57. If I were building it for resale I would make it exact, but it’s for fun and I doubt I will ever sell it.

Thanks again for the very rapid replies! Take care.
    JR

oldlure

US Member - 2 Years

My reference information (Blue Book) shows the 1958 RDE starts at serial # 1694787

frankr
    frankr

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 5552
    Topics: 48

Speaking of the electrical stuff, 1958 had a key-switch ignition, 1957 did not. Different cables too.

outbdnut2

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1459
    Topics: 77

For a sanity check, find the welch plug on the engine block and see if the powerhead model and serial numbers match the nameplate. I’ve found some surprising swaps.

Note the welch plug is round, silver color and about the size of a quarter. Depending on the model, they are either on top of the cylinders or on the non-exhaust side of the block.
    Dave

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4759
    Topics: 266

Accessories for 1958.

1958-OMC-Generator-Option

oldlure

US Member - 2 Years

Just a heads up if you had the paint matched to your ’57 the color was not the same in ’58.
    Holiday Bronze was different all three years ’56,’57 and ’58

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.