Home Forum Ask A Member 62 Merc 110, or 62 Johnson QD-23

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    benj
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

All right y’all, If you had a choice between a qd-23 and a merc 110( both 1962’s), which would you choose and why? I know the “correct” answer is both, but the budget doesn’t allow for it. LOL

I appreciate the input!

-Ben

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well….I had both a Merc 9.8 and been fixing up oldies ad cd fd ..etc .if based on simililar conditions ex: compression OK?? I find that OMC stuff is easy to fix up. Mercs always had a need for strange nuts , bolts fittings, ignition etc…

folks from the dark side will differ of course but OMC is certainly easy to fix up & parts with everywhere .Folks here like F.R. ,Mumbles and other experts here will get you going no matter what .

and like all AOMCI members you get a great manual to pamper your motor

MEMBERS ONLY…SECTION >.INNER SANCTUM…>.. LIBRARY…> GARRY’S drop box > and… download yourself a copy of the red book into your PC and print off a copy or two πŸ™‚

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by crosbyman.
        outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

I have a couple 9.8 Mercs and QD’s from that era, and I agree with everything Crosbyman said. I no longer mess with the Mercs unless one comes my way for free, or it’s a good friend’s motor that I can’t say no to him about fixing it. Most Mercs need a special tool to take the lower gearcase apart. By not having the tool, I can turn down friend and neighbor requests to replace seals in those Merc lower gearcases. I also don’t particularly like replacing or repairing with shrink tubing, the wires in the Mercs with decaying insulation.
          Dave

bobw
          Participant

US Member

I would also go with the QD-23. Simple reliable design, easy to work on, easy to find parts, no special tools needed.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

β€œEvery 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

talking mercs… here is a give away a 4hp $100 cdn or about $75 USA estate sale …..comes with hose tank and small connector. I already have 2x4hp and a 3.9hp ain’t collecting fantastic.

and 3 OMCs to fix up this winter 2 x 4hp (1960s) and a real beauty 5.5hp .

So sad to see this Merc slip away….

The Boat House
              Participant

Nice example. You don’t see motors in that
                condition too often. Should clean up nicely
                but you could never get it to look like that
                again. Just making a comment. Its your
                decision to make. Not sure what I would do.
                Tubs

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

off topic but…..

Well I gave up on that nice Merc 4hp…snif snif πŸ™

the 5.5hp rear half was cleaned up with car compound and wax … the grime came off easy the front not yet (winter project πŸ™‚ ) paid 110$ about 80$ USA with 2 line tank !
                  I think I won’t convert this one single line.

Mumbles
                  Participant

All right y’all, If you had a choice between a qd-23 and a merc 110( both 1962’s), which would you choose and why? I know the “correct” answer is both, but the budget doesn’t allow for it. LOL

I appreciate the input!

-Ben

Well, that’s a no brainer. Go with the QD! Parts are readily available and they are quite easy to work on and no special tools needed! You also don’t have to remortgage the house to buy parts either.

Here’s a ’63 QD-24 which was recently given to me and after some much needed maintenance, she’s a runner. A ’61 QD-22 was also given to me last year and it was in about the same condition as this one when it arrived. No video of it on the tube yet but it’s ready for a transom to.

https://youtu.be/AGUtfa51GxI

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

mumbles… you have great friends πŸ™‚

Mumbles
                      Participant

Yes, that may be, but I also scan my local buy and sell periodically.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1963-Johnson-10hp-Outboard_35594164

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Mumbles.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.