Home Forum Ask A Member AOMCI registrations

Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Richard L. Paquette
    Participant

Canada Member

Will also be posted on the Dockside for discussion.

From the helm, April 2018, The Antique Outboarder

By-law Revisions – Motor Classifications – A Full Color Magazine – Your Chance to Get Involved!

I recently had the opportunity to read a rather lengthy thread on the Ask a Member board regarding the seemingly age old question of Motor Classifications. Judging by the lack of references to the numerous times I have brought this up in Helm messages over the last four years I think that the question has not always been at the forefront of our members’ thoughts, but perhaps now is the time to address it.
      When by-law revisions were made in 2015 the EC decided not to address the question of Motor Classifications in favor of concentrating on other important modernizations of the by-laws (gender-neutral language was one). During the 2013-15 mandate I drafted the suggested revisions and then they were debated by the EC. This was a long process and it was decided that the next time it should not fall to just one person, rather we should create a committee consisting mostly of non EC members to come up with recommendations.
      By-law revisions were discussed during the last mandate (2015-2017) and we did call for nominations for volunteers with the idea we would specifically visit the matter of Motor Classifications, however there was no flood of interest and the decision was made at that time to table that discussion and concentrate on the website project. (The website is moving along, and while it may be taking longer than anticipated I am confident that when it launches in the very near future you will be impressed.)
      My position on Motor Classifications is that as the pre-eminent authority on Outboard Motors in the world, the definition of what is an Antique and how best to divide up motors for historical discussion and judging purposes is ours to establish. For example, if we as the "Pioneering Authority" decide to deem all motors more than 30 years old as Antiques, then all motors more than 30 years old are Antiques. I feel that we should broadly expand the definition of Antiques to include all motors 30 years of age or greater and then create subdivisions within the definition of Antique motors based on eras or other distinguishing features of groups of motors.
      This solution makes more sense to me than changing the name of the club, something that has also been suggested in the past.
      There has been, and remains, some debate on the necessity or the utility of this endeavor, and it is my understanding that while the question of Motor Classifications has been raised over the past several years there have been no easy consensuses. That being said, there are those who feel that the lack of evolution in Motor Classification is discouraging those who fancy newer motors from getting involved. While I am under no illusion that addressing this will miraculously generate a flood of new members, coming up with an up to date and evolving classification system will certainly satisfy those who feel this is an impediment. If in the long run it increases our membership or increases current members’ satisfaction with the organization then it is a worthwhile endeavor.
      I do not feel that expanding the definition of Antique takes away from the importance of the really old motors to the club. Pioneering motors such as Watermans, Rowboat Motors or Ruddertwins will always be rare and will always be important. Most new members, however, do not get their feet wet with these, rather it is often the 1960s Mercury or Gale that was passed down from their grandfather or found at a yard sale that is more likely to spark a person`s interest and get them to make the leap to become a member.
      With all the other benefits of increased membership, another could be making The Antique Outboarder a full-color magazine. Our magazine is one of the primary benefits of membership, both in its tangible form and in the amount of membership dollars that we invest in it.
      If we had more subscribers we could do even more with the magazine. While the cost of printing has generally increased, the cost of color printing has not and is much more affordable than in the past. Our printer could do the entire magazine in color for a mere 50 additional cents a copy, or for about a cost of two more dollars a year per member. While I am not proposing that we increase the dues to cover this modest increase in cost, if we could increase subscriptions or members paying into the production of the magazine, this would be possible.
      So it is the beginning of a new EC mandate, and now is the time to start the process of by-law revisions. In order for the revisions to be ratified in a referendum that would coincide with the 2019 election the questions need to be approved by the EC, and then published in the July 2019 issue of The Antique Outboarder to be on the ballot.
      We are asking for members to step forward to serve on a committee. I would imagine there would be approximately three or four conference calls and some time invested in correspondence over the next year to come up with a set of Motor Classification categories ready for the EC to debate this time next year.
      I think it is time to bring our Motor Classifications up to date. If you are interested please get in touch with me.

Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.