Home Forum Ask A Member Elgin 7.5 hp question.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    duprebrad
    Participant

Mine is about a 1957, model 571-58782. my question is about the assembly of the neutral shift plunger and spring. In the photo it appears the spring slides over the cable and sits on the plunger. Then there is a small washer and then a brass tube of 1 and 9/16 inch length on top of the washer. Is this correct? How does the brass tube keep from sliding up the cable?
      I was unable to attach a schematic

duprebrad
      Participant

What is the gas/oil ratio? Is the any oil that is less smoky?

seakaye12
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I attached a PDF that talks about servicing your vintage Elgin. Maybe it will be of some help; if not with the issue at hand….then perhaps with other issues you encounter.

As for the oil mix; I would run 16:1. The general rule is that engines with bushings as opposed to bearings in the powerhead need more oil. The newer engines with roller bearings are the ones that can run on 50:1 and the like. People on here swear by the new synthetic TC-W3 oils in the pursuit of less smoke; I have not yet tried it.
          I find that my engines smoke very little (even with 16:1 conventional oil) when out on the lake. Smoke can be obnoxious when barrel testing though.

duprebrad
          Participant

Thanks. I won’t try to run it with less oil. The manual is good but did not address my Neutral Shift assembly question. It looks as though the brass tube (#25 in photo) just butts up against the bottom edge of the bronze water pump impeller cover. This holds it in place so spring tension is on the plunger. When I took it apart the brass tube was above the impeller cover and pressed into the hole where the shift cable leaves the lower unit and enters the lower part of the “leg.”. Hope that made sense.
            Any further help is welcome.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.