Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 4271-01264

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Geer Pyron
    Participant

Hi,
      Does anyone have any information, literature, advice concerning a 1938 Zephyr?
      I’m having some starting issues with mine. I think it’s a carb problem. It’s an A4B.
      Thank you,
      G

JMGP

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Geer you could check the exhaust relief port. I hope you are talking about an Evinrude Zephyr. I have built two in the last year. Both had the exhaust relief port plugged solid with carbon. It requires a complete tear down to get to the port unless you want to drill some holes in the exhaust tube. The port plugged will cause hard starting and poor slow speed operation. When running in water. It is in the outlet of the muffler. I have submitted an article in the Antique Outboarder about this very problem. Should be in April edition, whenever that comes. PM me if you want to know more.

dale

get’em wet….don’t let’em set!

Geer Pyron
        Participant

Thank you Dale.
          Yea, it’s a hand-me-down Evinrude.
          It’s not a plugged exhaust. I had to take it apart to remember having scraped and chiseled and blown for two days when I first worked on it.
          I’ve got good spark. Good compression. Good fuel supply.
          It did run for a sec yesterday.
          How on earth does that carb work???!!!
          I mean I know “how” but….
          Anyway, thanks for any input.
          G

JMGP

JOHN HOLBIK
          Participant

I THINK there is an Evinrude training manual on the Zepher carb in Garrys drop down files.

Geer Pyron
            Participant

John,
              Yea, there is and Ive used it and love it, But it’s for a throttle valve type carb. Mine doesn’t have a butterfly valve.
              Still lookin’….
              But gotta go make some $.
              G

JMGP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.