Home Forum Ask A Member Flywheel "Puller" plater discovery

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    mercuryman
    Participant

Well something good came out of my post on flywheel pullers. I was ready to buy a strap wrench but now I will make the cheap flywheel holder.

legendre
      Participant

You can also make a strong and cheap strap wrench out of an old deep-well socket and a length of salvaged car seat-belt material. Cut the belt to an appropriate length, and sew or (better) super-glue & sew the ends together to form a loop.

With a grinder, cut a slot down the side of the socket, just wide enough to slide the glued / sewn end of the seat belt into it, the long way. Then loop the belt around the flywheel, wind the socket ’till it’s tight, and put in a socket wrench to hold it.

Absolutely unbreakable, and with a very wide grip. If the belt material slips, just put a little rosin dust on it.. and it won’t.

Here, this is the basic idea.. you can make them many different ways, out of whatever you have around. Great use for a cracked deep-well socket, cut your slot right through the cracked area.

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have used a strap wrench working electrical tightening P.V.C. coated G.R.C. pipe in water treatment plants before ever using on outboards. For me it works well on outboards. We had this exfootball electrician that would break them on a regular bases. 😮

Mumbles
          Participant

I cut the strap off my cheap strap wrench (Princess Auto) and replaced it with a piece of old serpentine belt from my truck. Crazee glued the end together and it doesn’t slip or stretch a bit!

Tom
            Participant

US Member

I have found that using the rope sheave as a puller is not the best idea. But if you snug the nut up against it to put a little upward force on the flywheel, then knock the nut with hammer, the AT, LT, DT and similar Johnson flywheels usually pop off. If that doesn’t work immediately, I go the traditional route with a puller.

Tom

chinewalker
              Participant

US Member

I’ve had a few 1930s Johnsons with the center knocked out of the rope sheave due to too much force being used on it as a puller. Best to use a regular puller and save the rope sheave…

Mumbles
                Participant
                  quote Chinewalker:

I’ve had a few 1930s Johnsons with the center knocked out of the rope sheave due to too much force being used on it as a puller. Best to use a regular puller and save the rope sheave…

Agreed!

But watch the threads on the early Johnsons as they were not standard quarter inch threads but #14 or something with a different pitch.

cajuncook1
                  Participant

Jim Moffatt, what a nice home made tool. Thank you for sharing!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.