Home Forum Ask A Member fuel tank cleaning

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    davesko
    Participant

What is an effective way to clean a fuel tank? Just bought a seaking 3hp with built in tank and it had 40 year old gas in it along with sludge and varnish.
      Thanks Guys

elgin2
      Participant

US Member

A handful of nuts and ammonia. Not peanuts. Let it sit for a few days shaking it every so often.

kevinrude
        Participant

Use the method that elgin2 suggests but, in case ammonia doesn’t work, try apple cider vinegar (preferably the unpasteurized kind if you can get it — direct from an orchard is typically the only place to get it). I have had better success with apple cider vinegar than ammonia, although ammonia seems to work too.

Make sure to rotate the tank when letting it sit. While the vast majority of the sludge will be on the bottom, the sides (and even the top) will have some sort of residue as well. I never have figured out a good way to seal the top of a gas tank once the gaskets and parts are removed. Anyone have any suggestions?

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

don’t forget to decrud the two vent small holes in the gas cap. I had to look :geek: closely a few times to find them

they are easy to miss … just rotate the small metallic plate to line up with the holes and push out the crud with a unbent paper clip till you see the light shine.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Steve A W
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I can’t take the smell of ammonia so I’ve used E85 gas.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
              I live in Northwest Indiana

Steve D
              Participant

Edit: Oops, nevermind, wrong kind of tank.

Goman
                Participant

I use laquer thinner and acetone as described then if they’re really dirty I use the electrolysis method next. It’s suprising on how much more it will pull out.

davesko
                  Participant

Thanks guys used ammonia 1st then apple cider vinegar and rinsed with methanol, now its spotless

nali
                    Participant

I didn’t know about ammonia.
                      So it disolve the varnish from old fuel ?
                      Great to know !
                      Is there any side effect on steel, aluminium or brass ?
                      I think it cleans brass, Autosol smells the same thing.

davesko
                      Participant

Dissolved all varnish and the apple cider vinegar got rid of the corrosion. Methanol dried it nicely. Of course I had nuts in with the ammonia and vinegar shaking it often. Total time 4 days. No side effects , just a clean tank.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.