Home Forum Ask A Member Gifted Engines _What to do?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Tom Alexander
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi: I recently was given a little 1959 Thompson Sea Skiff with a Johnson 35hp engine. In order to get this I had to take some other engines, sort of a take one take all deal. So I ended up with 4 engines that need good homes. 2 Mercs, an Evinrude and an Elgin. I believe all circa 1960 (?) or so.
      The Elgin is (per tag on tiller bracket) 30 hp, Model # 571 59801 SN 9801 3064, 21″ from transom to center of prop hub, Powerhead and prop turn free. An Elgin control unit with shift and throttle cables plus and electric cable is with this engine.
      The Evinrude is a Lark, Model 85520 SN 15075 30 hp, also 21″ from transom support surface to center of prop hub. Powerhead and prop turn free
      One of the Mercs is a Mark 55 Electric Start, SN 10902012, about 20″ from transom support surface to center of prop hub, this motor has controls with elect cable that plugs into engine. I think power head and prop turn free.
      The other Merc is a Mark 400, SN 1310710 about 21″ from transom support surface to center of prop hub. This engine has one component loose inside cowling but I think powerhead and prop turn free.
      There is also another top (with recoil starter) and bottom as well as the badge carrying Mercury plate that hooks at the top and has a plastic headed bole to fasten the bottom the the engine. The ‘Mercury ‘badge’ on this plate is not plastic but die cast metal held onto the front plate with a bolt. Fits the Mark 400????
      There are also a couple of control units with cables hanging about the place too. All Merc, I believe.
      So there you have it. I want to find a GOOD home for these engines. The guy that gave me all this said he thought the Evinrude and Elgin ran, or would run with little effort. Who knows. The Mercs he sort of gathered because he really wanted a Merc for the little Thompson but at the time didn’t realize the Thompson required a long shaft.
      Now what can I do with them? I am on San Francisco Bay (although he said these were all fresh water engines and where he lived led me to believe him) and don’t really want to get involved in all that is usually necessary to ship things like this all over the country. So If someone can come up with a good idea, I am more than happy to talk about it.
      I’m not into this for financial reward especially but would like these to go to somebody who can put them to good use. Any ideas? Thanks for reading!! Tom Alexander

3 users thanked author for this post.
      Timothy McDonald
      Participant

See if you can find a young person with the need for a learning project.

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

See if you can find a young person with the need for a learning project.

And a strong back.

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Where are you located Tom? Needless to say, shipping these engines is out of the question…Don

1 user thanked author for this post.
            kerry
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Okay, here goes. The Elgin is a 1957 30hp electric start with generator. The Evinrude is a 1960 40hp. The Merc mark 55 is a 1957 40hp. The Merc 400 is a 1960 45hp. All are likely short shaft motors, should be roughly 17″ from the transom to the cavitation plate.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

Timothy McDonald
              Participant

You might donate them to a local technical school. They need project motors and machinery for the students to learn. A local high school FFA in Washington State used to ask for projects for the kids.

Tom Alexander
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am in Point Richmond CA.

Tom Alexander
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wow, you must have some resources! I tried (very briefly admittedly) to find out just this sort of info on these and just kept getting lost down the web rabbit hole. Thanks for the info, I’m sure it will help place these somewhere. Regards Tom Alex.

Tom Alexander
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That is a thought! There is a AOMC Member here who restores Mercs and is a retired shop teacher who may still have contacts that could be helpful. Thanks Tom Alex.

Casey Parr
                      Participant

I have a 55 25hp johnson. Anyone have parts let me know. I just dropped my block off at the machine shop. I cracked the water jacket from getting the head off. My gosh was that a nightmare. Worst ever, but its all good! Oh and snapped 2 head bolts and 2 exhaust cover bolts…This was with heat by the way. Must have been together since 55 haha. Got a new referb head coming and a head gasket. My pistons look good. Can anyone give me a mic measurement on a STD piston? I can’t find any marks anywhere for identification. Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.