Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Model A flywheel removal trouble

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    willyboy
    Participant

Thanks to all for the help,i gave the flywheel popper a try today and managed to get the flywheel unstuck after 5 hard whacks-apparently it was on there good. I know this engine has been taken apart in the distant past by someone as most of the slotted screw heads are mangled from too small of a blade and I found written in pencil on the magplate : .030 plugs,.020 points. I also have found that the mag plate is warped or bent in 2 spots and is very noticeable now that the flywheel is off. The serial number for the rope sheave and flywheel are also off of a 1924 engine while the serial numbers off the cylinders are from 1926 according to the chart. On a good note the magnets in the flywheel are still good and strong. Also with all the flywheel banging the last 2 days I knocked a lot of the rust scale in the cylinder water passages loose and found that a couple blasts of canned compressed air for cleaning computer boards cleared the passages completely out. Tomorrows project appears to be attempting to straighten the mag plate without breaking it. I should have known something was up when spinning the flywheel by hand it sounded like it was dragging on something when it hit a certain point in the revolution. Was hoping it would be a quick point cleanup and resetting and then attempt at starting but no such luck.

Mumbles
      Participant

The flywheel knockers work pretty good and you can’t do the job properly without one.

The mag plates are a thin casting and bend quite easily. Take it easy straightening it and you should be OK.

willyboy
        Participant

Took a few hours,a level and some patience but I managed to straighten the mag plate and get it cleaned up. Also found the source of the dragging and it was a loose block of brass under the flywheel between the magnet ends,tightened the screws and it went away. Points were dirty and corroded,polished them up and they may work but really need to be replaced. I need to order some 9mm cloth covered plug wire as the roll of 7mm I have is a tad small. Thanks too all for the help,look forward to hearing this one run,never worked on one this old.

stanley
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Before you start to replace your plug wires check in and let the guys guide you through it.They are a little tricky and there are some pitfalls to avoid.

willyboy
            Participant

Thanks Stanley,the engine was minus the plug wires when I got it. I assumed new ones just screwed onto the coil studs under the flywheel but it sounds like there is more to it then that.

stanley
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Post a picture of the mag plate with a good view of the coil.

willyboy
                Participant

Will do tomoro,left it at the shop and knocked off for the night.

willyboy
                  Participant

Took a pic of the mag plate and beneath the mag plate where I thought the plug wires screwed into the bakelite caps with studs in them. I was under the impression the wires just twisted into the caps onto the studs?

willyboy
                    Participant

Attachments:

Mumbles
                      Participant

Does the back side of your coil have this tar type of stuff on it?

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.