Home Forum Ask A Member Maxwell Tecumseh Canadian aka Spartan 5

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    bill-loveland
    Participant
      quote Mumbles:

OK, I was just over there but I’ll try and get back in the next day or two. One or two days wait shouldn’t matter if it took twenty years to ID this motor! 😀

By the way, would you know of any Spartan 5 donor motors? The cracked inertia wheel on mine is holding me up from trying to start it.

Is that a part you’d find on a lawnmower engine?

Mumbles
      Participant

I don’t think so. The motor does have a small flywheel on top but this thing goes on the bottom of the crank and probably replaces the weight of a mower blade. It’s fairly heavy and might be cast of zinc.

kevinrude
        Participant

Hey Bill, if you look at the advertising provided by Mumbles, you’ll notice that there is a triangle labelled "4 stroke". Is that how the triangle on your tiller handle reads?

bill-loveland
          Participant

You’re close – one says "4 CYCLE" and another says "4 CYCLE SPARTAN". I could be convinced that my handle says "4 CYCLE SPARTAN".

Mumbles, when you take a look at yours, see if you can read what your handle says.

Mumbles
            Participant

OK, I’ll go over in the morning and take a peek. I’m curious to.

Mumbles
              Participant
                quote bill_loveland:

Mumbles, when you take a look at yours, see if you can read what your handle says.

I just looked at my Spartan and I can make out a 4 and Spartan inside the triangle cast into the tiller but the rest is kind of vague. It would need beading to make it any clearer.

There’s no decal saying Maxwell anywhere on it but it does have an ID plate fastened to the front identifying it as a Lauson four stroke powerhead. This outboard truly is a ‘mower on a stick’ and going by the serial number, there must have been close to ten million of them made!

Attachments:

bh
                Participant
                  quote bill_loveland:

…long-time Canadian collectors thought it might have some connection with the Montreal Triton/Arrow motor, but I don’t think so now.

Bill; -did u klnow that our friend Doug Overbury was the Chief Engineer in Montreal @Arrow ? [bh/]

bill-loveland
                  Participant

I didn’t – was he at Tack’s?

bill-loveland
                    Participant
                      quote Mumbles:

quote bill_loveland:

I just looked at my Spartan and I can make out a 4 and Spartan inside the triangle cast into the tiller but the rest is kind of vague. It would need beading to make it any clearer.

There’s no decal saying Maxwell anywhere on it but it does have an ID plate fastened to the front identifying it as a Lauson four stroke powerhead. This outboard truly is a ‘mower on a stick’ and going by the serial number, there must have been close to ten million of them made!

Thanks Mumbles – I suspect the serial number reflects the number of engines made in all applications, not just outboard

Now to find somebody who can solve the "MAXWELL" puzzle. As it happens, I have a Canadian friend who is a Lauson (outboard) expert, as well as having a strong interest in lots of other mechanical things.

Would a junk Lauson outboard be a donor source of an intertia wheel?

Mumbles
                      Participant
                        quote bill_loveland:

Would a junk Lauson outboard be a donor source of an intertia wheel?

I’m not sure but that’s a good idea! 💡

Without any schematics or Lausons in my pile, I don’t know what they are composed of.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.