Megger

Home Forum Ask A Member Megger

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1556
    Topics: 54

Anyone ever use a megger to test caps? Also good for fishing but don’t get caught!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by jeff-register.

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 7468
    Topics: 1071

When the electricians use to megger cables at the power plant their
    equipment looked rather large, expensive, was flagged off,
    and probably plug into a 440 volt socket…… we were told to
    “Stay Away”……. Don’t think I’ll use one for testing caps, lol

Prepare to be boarded!

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years

Buck,
    My megger is hand held old style with a crank. All it does is measure insulation or dielectrics resistance. Never measured the voltage it outputed but Vishay caps for mags are rated at 850 volts. I’ll try a used cap for electronics first & let you know. I like expermenting, Boom!!!
    I would bet the socket you speak of was 480 volts, 3 phase too. All a megger does when cranked is generate electrical current. Your guys had a motor to spin the genny too. You may be speaking of hi-pot test. It’s a megger on steroids. We hi-potentialed tested service sections before powering. It too checks insulation resistance only to the third degree.
    P.S. anything less than 2 meg ohms is a failure.
    Jeff

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by jeff-register.

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 7468
    Topics: 1071

I remember hearing the term “Hi Pot” testing quite a few times during outages.
    Yes, three phase on the 480v. I use to say a prayer every time I had to lower
    or raise one of those 480 volt breakers, or take switching orders for the switch yard!

Prepare to be boarded!

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years

Thats scary stuff working with I-line breakers. Had a friend killed by utilities non disconnect replacing a service section for a grocery store, also 480v @ 5000 amps. Tom never used his meter before putting a wrench on the bussing, it exploded.
    I bet a small megger would function. I’ll catch up with you. Too busy to get to it today. I was a “sparky” for too many years.

jcrigan

Replies: 533
    Topics: 34

If I remember right, those little handcranked meggers put out about 500 volts.

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years

Good for fishing, but not in an aluminum boat!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.