Home Forum Ask A Member Need for Speed?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    49hiawatha
    Participant

1.Curious lots of pictures on AOMCI showing "mature" men going fast with raised bows.
      2.Reflection of age set or rejuvenated youthful aspirations?
      3. I raced cars in the 1960-1970s up to 130 mph. Got my jollys off and done.
      4. Water speed was safe, sure and convential to the task. Land and air speed challenged NEVER water nor any Coast Guard/Naval experience.
      5. Thoughts? 😀

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

up to 50mph is easy to attain. and fairly safer. 50 is harder and can be hairy. so get advice with some one that has done it. just my opinion.

vintin
        Participant
          quote 49Hiawatha:

1.Curious lots of pictures on AOMCI showing “mature” men going fast with raised bows.

That raises the question:

How many of these guys do you know? 😀

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Without question, I do it because it makes me feel like I am a kid again. At 61 years old, theses feelings are getting harder and harder to come by; so ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Be advised that speed is a relative term. On a 12 ft aluminum boat, you sometimes feel like you’re cheating death, even though you’re only going 30 mph….

Long live American manufacturing!

RICHARD A. WHITE
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Mature men?????? pffft….. I will NEVER grow up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
              classicomctools@gmail.com

49hiawatha
              Participant

Thanks BillW you answered it in a honest way.Richard White I hope you stay young as the years multiply. At 73 almost 74 my bucket list is complete and still question how I lived longer than 26. Luck or ? I have found a ot of folks wait until they get "mature" to experiment. Thus growing old with speed freaks in cars/bikes/competitive bicycle racing my frame of reference even tho 85 miles from the ocean and having a Such Crust model/engine boat at 10, I never had that urge on water. I do know some folks in MN/WI and New England who liked to go fast on Lake Pepin, MN 1940s water skis (before my visual experience). To each his own.Just like motocycles, an Indian Boy. Keep your props turning..I will stay with my fishing motors back to 1969. 😆

jw-in-dixie
                Participant

Have always loved boating and going fast in anything. Drove a stock car in the fifties. Built this boat in about 1949 and have enjoyed it ever since. Made it out on the river 6 times last year, alone at 84. My young (83) boat buddy Bob was unable to get out last year. Now 85 I have not made a run because I have no one to accompany me and I know it isn’t wise to go alone. But, what the hell, I probably will anyway! Gotta die of something, right? 😆 Cheers, JW

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

I’m 70, but I say "Pick an age you like and live it to the extent your body lets you!" My desire to have a zillion HP in a car is long gone, but to take a 15 to 40 HP boat out and trim it up, cut a few corners, and take a few waves at fun angles will never go away – been doing that since I was 12. I think most of us that grew up that way have developed a set of senses where you know from the feel of your boats what limits you cannot push them beyond. I see nothing wrong with taking a 12′ Runabout with 35 HP around water ski slalom course buoys – it’s fun! ….as long as you know what your’re doing and the limits of the boat. I have a 17′ inboard/outboard ski boat (1996) that will do 52 MPH – but that’s no fun – it’s like driving a couch around the lake, so give me a smaller, more maneuverable boat with a bit less, but respectable HP and I’m happy!
                    By the way, I still enjoy running my grandson’s 8′ Minimost hydroplane with 10 to 15 HP on it where you have to watch the angle you take every wave , …..and ….oh yeah…..at age 70,…… I can still usually get through that slalom course at 28 MPH – on a water ski! Been water skiing every year since I was 11, and I thank the Lord that I’m still in shape to do that!

One thing – Whenever I am out having fun in my boats – I NEVER do any fun cornering, etc anywhere near any other watercraft, beaches, docks, etc. We should all respect not subjecting others to a lot of waves, noise, fear, danger, or worry.
                    Dave

jw-in-dixie
                    Participant

Loved to water ski, but all my old skiing buddies are dead and I no longer have a ski boat or anyone to go with. Hell getting old. Say, OBN, ever skied on a boat paddle? Takes half a six-pac to get ready, but it’s fun. 🙄

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member
                        quote jw in dixie:

Say, OBN, ever skied on a boat paddle? Takes half a six-pac to get ready, but it’s fun. 🙄

Nope – never skied on a boat paddle, but have been on a homemade "saucer" which was just a round 4 foot diameter piece of 5/8 plywood. I gave up skiing barefoot about 20 years ago – it takes a lot of muscle endurance and I don’t like trying to roll forward into a ball with almost zero notice when one foot digs in to make hitting the water at 38 MPH not so bad on the neck and back.

BTW: If anyone tries the 4 foot plywood saucer thing – watch out! When the front edge digs under a wave and you fly off, the saucer slices under water and comes shooting back out at roughly the angle it dug in at and it is nasty if it hits you – it has momentum!. Next door neighbor girl at the lake cabin when we were teens had the thing hit her above one eye and needed stitches (it was their saucer and her parents got rid of it after that).
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.