New Member with an old boat that needs a motor

Home Forum Ask A Member New Member with an old boat that needs a motor

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by billw.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Wayne Malm

Replies: 2
    Topics: 1

Thanks for the add. I ran into some members today at the boat show in Tavares, Fl. I was encouraged to join, so here I am.

I have a 1957 Sea Fury 14 1/2 ft runabout that just like the boat my parents had in the 60’s. That’s me pulling the starter while my 2 brothers watch.
    Any way I found this boat and I need a motor for it.
    I’m looking for a running 35 to 50 hp with controls that’s age appropriate. I’m in Sanford, Florida.
    I don’t know anything about motors so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wayne

dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

I would prefer a Mercury merc 500 early 60’s Just Me.

joecb

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 906
    Topics: 92

Hi Wayne, welcome to the AOMCI. I know that you will find that members in our club most helpful in your quest. A boat project that has a family story is particularly appealing to me and I know to a lot of our guys. If you were up here in Michigan I’m confident that we could help put your rig back in shape, and water ready. Stay connected with the local chapters in your neighborhood, make acquaintances and surely help will come your way.  By the way… really cool boat!

Joe B

PS, some like Mercs, I’m with OMC’s  they are much more user friendly, especially for a newbie

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

fyi…

Sea Fury – Classic Boat Library (fiberglassics.com)

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

Looks like a mid sixties Johnson, 33 or 40 hp. Hard to see for sure. Does that ring any bells as to what you had?

Long live American manufacturing!

Wayne Malm

It was a 35 hp Johnson. Not sure of the year. The photo was taken in 1966.

kerry

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 432
    Topics: 18

It depends on if you want “period correct” or picture correct. Period correct would be a Holiday Bronze and white  Johnson. Picture correct is a 1960’s 40hp.  The bigger question is what are your plans for use?  If you will just cruise around, 40hp will be plenty. If skiing and tubing are planned, a bigger motor would be wise. Early to mid 60’s 75hp manual shift would be a good choice. I learned early to have a little more power in reserve, just in case. Think carefully and choose wisely, you will be a happy  boater.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

Wayne Malm

I’m going cruising, too old and heavy for skiing. LOL

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

Judging by where that picture was taken, you must have changed a lot of shear pins?

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.