Home Forum Ask A Member Oliver Bendix Coils

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member
      quote Chinewalker:

Hi Tubs – I removed a bit of the sheathing and ran the wire around the underside of the coil to exit where it normally would.

Did the coil fit back on to the mag plate and the retaining clips go back on? On my motors, it seems like there is no room to spare? Maybe Mercury is a bit different? Another question.. is that shrink tubing you used to cover the solder joint? If that works I’ll have to buy some of those! Thanks for posting.

The Boat House
      Participant

quote Jerry Ahrens:

quote Chinewalker:

is that shrink tubing you used to cover the solder joint? If that works I’ll have to buy some of those! Thanks for posting.

He said tire in his original reply but
        he meant bicycle inner tube.
        Pretty clever.

GravelyShoals
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is an old thread but I used military coils. I wrapped a thin piece of copper band around the coil and soldered it to the nub. That allows you to solder the spark wire underneath where it needs to come out. The second nub needs to have a ground lead soldered to it. You will need to insulate the copper band. Some use shrink tubing and some use a piece of bicycle inner tube. You can contact me @; parkerbuilders66@yahoo.com

outboardnut
          Participant

US Member
            green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

For all who might have a small enginee or outboard with Bendix type K flywheel magneoto take at the Bendix Magneto site. Basic type K magneto information is there along with Bendix part numbers. Coil problems are not uncommon. There are various solutions, Some repair the coils, some adapt military surplus coils and some fit coil windings from other brand coils to the Bendix core. Original type K magneto coils were once available thru a club member who lost his suplier and closed out his business.  Rarely, a parts motor might have a usable coil…more often the coils are bad or have been removed.

Louis.

geary
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sgriff144,       Standard Magneto sells both the replacement coil for Bendix magnetos and a military dual fire coil that is a perfect replacement for the OEM coils on their Ebay store !   I have used the dual fire coils in a couple of my Oliver 15- 16hp engines, but there’s a trick to insulating them. They have to mount with the two buttons facing up, you will have to ground one button to the mag plate and the other button you have to solder the spark plug wire to !

There are several ways to attach the spark plug wire,   cut a slot in one of the buttons with a hacksaw, lay the plug wire in the slot and solder the wire to it.  The other way is to make a small brass or copper tab with two holes in it, one hole should be bigger than the other so you can solder it to the button, once soldered attach the plug wire to it ! You will then have to reroute the plug wire down thru the mag plate so it exits in the direction closest to the spark plug !

It doesn’t matter which button you ground and which one you attach the plug wire to. Either way works !  Then you will have to coat the wire connection with epoxy or a rubber boot to insulate it from jumping the spark to the mag plate !

These dual fire coils produce a VERY hot spark and can jump 3/4 to 1″  if not insulated properly !  But they will fire even the dirtiest of plugs !  So good luck, hope this helps ?

Geary

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

try super corona dope for insulating. Can be found on line at mg chemicals. Looks like clear fingernail polish. insulates to 4000 volts, easy to apply.

joecb
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just a side note about using “unknown quality” black rubber for high voltage insulation. I had used a couple of pieces of black rubber tubing as gromets and found after much aggravation that the rubber was conductive and shorting the spark. Apparently enough carbon black in the rubber compound was the culprit. Check resistance on high ohm scale before use.  I had written a tech article for the “Outboarder” about this , several years ago.

Joe B

seakaye12
                    Participant

US Member

Just a side note about using “unknown quality” black rubber for high voltage insulation. I had used a couple of pieces of black rubber tubing as gromets and found after much aggravation that the rubber was conductive and shorting the spark. Apparently enough carbon black in the rubber compound was the culprit. Check resistance on high ohm scale before use.  I had written a tech article for the “Outboarder” about this , several years ago.

Joe B

That’s for sure the truth!  A few years ago at Tomahawk I was observing efforts to get a Johnson outboard running.  It was one of the low tension mags and as such was fitted with a pair of Sierra branded coils which came with spark plug wires attached….along with “rubber” spark plug boots.  An observant on-looked noticed big fat sparks jumping from the “rubber” boot to the block.  No wonder the engine was missing.  We removed the “rubber” boot…..problem solved.

Not all rubber has the same insulative properties…..and you can’t tell by looking at it.

I don’t know if Sierra ever acknowledged the issue with their “rubber” boots. 

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.