Home Forum Ask A Member Re: 1949 Johnson HD-25 Overhaul: A beginners perspective and guide for the compleat idiot

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Steve A W
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I use the digital camera also, bot I have to have my wife download it
      to the computer because I can’t see the picture so good on the little screen
      on the camera. :geek:
      Maybe I need better glasses !!

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
      I live in Northwest Indiana

reivertom
      Participant

US Member

I tried using cups and containers, but my big clumsy self always knocked them over in a fit of mechanical stupidity. Ever since I got the little magnetic trays from HF and elsewhere, I don’t know how I lived without them. Even if you do manage to knock them over, the small parts stick to it and the bigger parts don’t go far. If you are working near something steel, you just stick it on and it stays put. Put in a word you want some for you birthday or something.

vwbusman66
        Participant
          quote reivertom:

I tried using cups and containers, but my big clumsy self always knocked them over in a fit of mechanical stupidity. Ever since I got the little magnetic trays from HF and elsewhere, I don’t know how I lived without them. Even if you do manage to knock them over, the small parts stick to it and the bigger parts don’t go far. If you are working near something steel, you just stick it on and it stays put. Put in a word you want some for you birthday or something.

They might not be a bad idea!
          James

vwbusman66
          Participant

Ok, now the fun has begun!
            I got the motor in my shop and built a ghetto engine stand using a bench press and a 2×4. It works.
            I mounted the motor and played around for a minute and got to work.
            First, I took off the lower cover using the four screws. Then I removed the four screws holding the gas tank on, the pin holding the primer needle to the carb, and the fuel line on the fuel tap. I removed the tank and determined it would be needed to be cleaned. How do I best do this?
            I then began to remove the fuel lines. I got the one off of the carb and the one on one of the needles. I want to get these soaking as soon as possible. What do I use for this (carb cleaner, acetone, lacquer thinner)? I then decided to try and remove the fuel tap on the tank. Which direction is this threaded? Is it usually tight?
            For now, James
            P.S., pictures are coming!

vwbusman66
            Participant

Can someone explain to me how to remove the carburetor?
              James

steveh
              Participant

US Member
                vwbusman66
                Participant

I literally just got it off, after looking at the site and taking a step back.

vwbusman66
                  Participant

Ok, next stupid question that isn’t covered in the pochefamily.org guide.
                    How do I remove the horizontal pin that retains and positions the high speed needle adjustment pin adapter. It runs right through the shaft.

legendre
                    Participant

Rather than messing with the pin, I find it easier to remove the 3/8" nut, lockwasher and fork from the primer linkage. You can then pull up on the primer shaft to remove the tank (the recoil assy. must be off as well).

Strategically replacing a couple of the original bent wire cotters with miniature hitch pin cotters will make it easier to R&R the carb too.

legendre
                      Participant
                        quote vwbusman66:

Ok, next stupid question that isn’t covered in the pochefamily.org guide.
                        How do I remove the horizontal pin that retains and positions the high speed needle adjustment pin adapter. It runs right through the shaft.

I don’t think there’s any reason to remove that pin – why would you want to?

The needle assy. comes out with the pin in situ. You have removed the primer nut & fork, right?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 37 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.