Home Forum Ask A Member Stripped mag plate FD-11

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Fleetwin: Agreed. I have run into that inconsistency numerous times with both omc and mercury parts.

Chris: You have to be careful indeed. The plate pictured above will not work afterall. Very strange but holes are drilled in different locations. Only one actually on this plate!!

Fortunately i have another that is an exact match. You can never have too many parts and parts motors lying around, can you?

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

We all fall into this trap, using the "it must be the same" theory, even though the part numbers are different…
        The biggest error that is made most often is the reverse supercession method when dealing with new or used parts. The biggest clue to this error is seeing a NOS part in a box with the part number crossed out/written over with a new number….
        Let’s take a simple example, an exhaust cover for a 1984 115hp, part number: 329503. You call the local dealer, amazingly he has this part in stock…Great, you can finish your rebuild! You run down to the dealer, purchase the exhaust cover and look forward to reassembling this powerhead…The powerhead goes together easily, you paint it all up nice, put it back on the exhaust hsg, and reinstall all fuel and electrical components. Finally, you reinstall the PTT junction box, which mounts on the exhaust cover….What the @#$%! There are no mounting bosses for the junction box on the NOS exhaust cover. You grab a beer, and just stare at the exhaust cover and junction box (I do a lot of staring). Frantically, you look up the part number again, you had it right, 329503. You grab the box that the new cover came in and notice that the part number: 323153 is crossed out and the number 329503 is written on the box.
        Your dealer must have ordered part number 323153 back in 1982, probably for a rebuild job, apparently he never used or returned it for credit.
        As years went by and he inventoried his parts stock many times for tax purposes, he noticed that this part number superceded to 329503 so just crossed off the original number and wrote in the superceded number. The 1982 models had power trim relay boxes that were mounted in the boat, there were no mounting bosses on the manifold. What a mess, the dealer’s mistake really messed up your rebuild job!
        Needless to say, there would have been no problem if you were working on a 1982 model, and used the superceded later part number: 329503. Those trim box mounting bosses would have just been unused.
        The lesson here is trying to reverse supercede older NOS parts by just writing in the new part number could lead to disaster. Always be suspect when buying NOS parts if you see original part numbers crossed out/overwritten with superceded numbers….
        Please know I am not preaching, I realize the temptation is oftentimes too great, I have fallen victim to it as well….

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

and that hole probably has a higher price tag for it 😆

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

retiredoz
          Participant

US Member

‘Casting numbers’ don’t mean much if the part you’re looking at is an ‘assembly’, like a carb or recoil starter. Maybe condensers are an exception..

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.