Home Forum Ask A Member johnson 1963 JW 18 R

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mrhabitat
    Participant

The 3 HP jw-18 starts easily, runs well at hi speed but moving the lever below the START position it will stall
      I’ve moved the low speed mixture screw both clockwise and counter clockwise but that had no effect. Thoughts?

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Low speed fuel circuit plugged.

Prepare to be boarded!

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Perhaps the carburetor throttle shaft is stuck/binding….In other words, it is not closing fully…These engines won’t idle if the throttle plate is stuck open….

Tom
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Interesting responses here. I had one with the same problem. I fixed it by reengineering the butterfly advance. The butterfly was closing too much at idle. That motor ran great and idled extremely well after the mods.

But as noted above, the clogged idle system is more likely your culprit, as long as the gasket inside the bottom of the carburetor is in good shape.

Looking back, I suspect my motor had a carb from a different model on it, one with linkage that wasn’t designed for the motor.

T

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Tom.
            crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
              billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Probably a dirty carb. However, verify good strong spark on both cylinders and that the plugs are not in question. (New or known good used.) Those engines WILL run on just one cylinder but stall at lower speeds.

Long live American manufacturing!

need2fish
                Participant

I’ve read Frank R recommended using a fine wire to make sure the low speed circuit is clean.

In my experience using air on fine passages is a bad idea — the force of the air may compact the junk in the passage and result in something even harder to clean out.

Mumbles
                  Participant

You could have some crud buildup at the bottom of the bowl blocking the passage shown on the left. This passage supplies fuel to the low and mid range circuits in the carb and it must be clear. The corresponding passageways in the carb body must be clear and clean to.

Carb-Bowl

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.