Home Forum Ask A Member 10 hp QD differences

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member

I just finished going through these two Johnson QDs. The left one is a 1954. The right one is a 1958 Both 10 hp QD Models. The stand hold both of these, and is on a level surface with the trim pin in the inner most hole/slot. It’s interesting when you compare the two side by side, the 58 model is noticeably taller and sets back further on the transom. Not a big deal, but I did not realize the differences. I think it has to do with the transom bracket and towers being different. The 54 model skeg sticks down in the water a bit farther than the 58. I thought i would post this to try out the new website!null

jerry-ahrens
      Participant

US Member

Ok, I see I need to put my pics on Photo Bucket or something with a link? Sorry, I’m a computer dumby. I’ll see if I can figure that part out…

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jerry, just starting out with the new website also. In any even, the midsections from the two 10hps are completely different, so there is likely to be some big differences when viewed by eye. The 58 10hp midsection is based off the smaller 5.5/7.5 models. Needless to say, the exhaust housing is a bit different though to accomodate the 10hp powerhead…

chris-p
          Participant

This makes the ’58 slightly faster than earlier versions.

lindy46
            Participant

US Member

And ’58+ model gearcases are more prone to wear problems especially if water gets in.

chris-p
              Participant

Lindy, have you ever seen a ’58 QD with a worn out case? A case that was worn out just because it was used on the 10hp Powerhead configuration?

I see that statement made on the forum quite a bit. Had a few guys sell me their ’58 QD since they read on here that the cases were no good! I quickly bought them up! Not sure if I have just been lucky, but I have restored and owned dozens upon dozens of ’58 QDs, never have found one with a worn out gearcase Myself? That is why I never put that disclaimer in my responses. I personally feel like they handle the 10hp Powerhead just fine. If water gets in any gearcase, it will damage it. I don’t think the gearcase is a great set up, but not because its on a 10hp powerhead.

Just my 2 cents on it. I feel like the ’58 QD is a great motor to own and run. They are light, fast, and as noticed, sit higher up on a transom, providing better WOT RPM and speed. I love the ’57 and down QDs as well, so cant go wrong with any model really!

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Chris, I have a ’58 QD that I had to replace the gearcase on because the original gearcase was badly worn. The drive shaft bushing was worn egg-shaped and was barely useable. That is not the only one I have found close to work out. I really like the 10s a lot but I do find the 58-up 4-bolt gearcase a bit lightly constructed for the 10hp. It seems to hold up fine as long as the gear oil is kept clean and water-free. Water intrusion spell death for this gearcase quickly on a 10 horse though. I agree water will wipe out any gearcase if it stays in there and it get run very much. This seems to happen really quickly on the 10s though from what I have seen.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

lindy46
                  Participant

US Member

Mine is a ’62 and the gearcase was completely shot: gears, driveshaft bushing and driveshaft. The bushing and driveshaft where it contacts the bushing were badly scored. I was able to find a used gearcase in good shape, but those housings and driveshafts in good condition are getting very hard to find.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yep, the smaller gearcase will hold up, but only if water is kept out of the gearcase….There is no margin for error here…And the failure mode, like everyone says is the lower driveshaft bushing and its mating surface on the driveshaft. The extra power of the 10hp seems to attack this area quickly when the oil leaks out and water leaks in….Sure, all gearcase will eventually fail when this happens, but the small gearcase on the 10hp will fail much more quickly….And, like Lindy says, good used parts are getting hard to find….
                      I too love the 58 10hps, regardless of this issue, I just check the gear lube prior to every use. These engines also suffered from piston/wrist pin/rod wear, and I find it strange that I do hear many complaints like this on the older 10hps with the larger gearcase. Perhaps the 58s wind up a bit more than the older models, enough so to affect/create more load than the plain bearing/bushing set up can handle, but this is just a guess.
                      Nonetheless, I still love these engines…

chris-p
                      Participant

I update all of the ’58 and up QDS to needle bearings from bushings. I also do a TOTAL gearcase reseal on every motor I get.

I go through them top to bottom, and I like to only buy motors that have been sitting a long time with cracked coils. Ensures no Hillbilly Mechanics have messed with them, and ran them on 50:1!

I guess I have just been lucky from the stories I hear on here. I have had luck with my buying criteria, so I stick with that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.