Home Forum Ask A Member 1930’s Evinrude/Elto OBC medallions?

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    chas56x
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is where you can get the medallions.
      http://www.americanoutboard.com/manual/ … vtoken.htm

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

In the "Roaring Twenties" (Under water exhausts were rare – 8^D ) it was discovered horse power sold motors. Engineering departments fiddled with the prototypes to get the maximum possable. Unfortunately production motors were not as carefully assembled. This led to most outboards over 4 horse power falling far short of there advertised rating. Sniping by competitors and complaints from customers led to the outboard builders forming the National Outboard Association as a group to rate others motors horse power. Competitors representatives would come into the factory and randomly pick three motors off the assembly line. These were run in and adjusted. They were then put on a dynamometer and the horse power average (to the nearest tenth) of those three became the certified horse power for that model. In a single year (1933) some models lost 20% of there advertised horse power. This rating method continued through the war years of the mid ’40s. It was virtually destroyed by Carl Kiekhaefer who refused to join, and found great commercial success in under rating his Mercury outboards. So ratings became more a product of the advertising department until the Federal Government copied a European trend, and mandated uniform power measurements taken at the propeller shaft.

In the dawn of outboard use, manufacturing was, of course, rather primitive. Measurements could change by how tight a production worker screwed there micrometer. Precision we take for granted today was totally unknown back then. This was also true in the oil & gasoline industry. Motors had to be designed to work under the worse conditions encountered. The fuel you bought today might be different from that bought last week, even though coming from the same gas station. Ole Evinrude was a great engineer and tireless craftsman. In the beginning (First 50 outboards) he built and tested each motor. To make his products easy to use, he attached a metal tag to the fuel adjustment needle valve indicating the adjustment needed for optimal starting and reliable operation. This continued until production accuracy allowed for the adjustments to be incorporated into the engine.

. . . . . . 😀

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Interesting Gary, thanks for the history lesson!

Prepare to be boarded!

twostroke
          Participant

Newbie AOMCI member here….I apologize in advance if it’s not ok to resurrect an old thread like this…. I walked past my long-ignored J-series Ruddertwin trying to figure out what I am gonna’ take to my first AOMCI swap meet and saw this tag. Never noticed it before. Searched…and found this thread. Thanks for the education, Gary! They’re can’t be a lot of these where this is still there… The old brute is free….maybe I should drag it in the shop this winter and see if I can make it make smoke.

Thanks…

Jim

Attachments:

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

soflaevinrude
            Participant
              quote Garry in Tampa:

It is usually attached to one of the clamp screws . . . 😀

Garry, Is this true for the ’39-’41 Evinrude Mate and Elto Cub? I’ve read elsewhere that the N.O.A. medallions were attached to the carburetors somehow. Thanks, Jim

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

The fuel adjustment tags were attached to the carburetors. The NOA Horsepower Certification medallion was usually on the clamp screw . . . 🙂

chris-p
                Participant

Garry…..GREAT information! Love learning this stuff.

soflaevinrude
                  Participant
                    quote Garry in Tampa:

The fuel adjustment tags were attached to the carburetors. The NOA Horsepower Certification medallion was usually on the clamp screw . . . 🙂

Garry, Thanks again for sharing your knowledge of these old motors! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.