Home Forum Ask A Member 1932 Evinrude 413 fisherman

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    beezer
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a battery ignition 1932 Evinrude 413 Fisherman it’s got great spark but i don’t know how to set the points. When you move the timer to the left or right the gap changes. The timer seems to be on a cam. You move it one way it gets wider you move it the other way it gets less. Do you have to set the points with the timer in a certain position? I can get it to run but it just doesn’t run good. Do you set the timer in a certain position and set the points to where they just start opening and not worry about the gap? Thanks for any input on the matter

beezer
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Anybody know how to time a 1932 Evinrude Fisherman with battery ignition

The Boat House
        Participant

I don’t have one of these but I suspect the
          change in the point gap likely a result of
          some ware where the timer moves around
          the block.
          There isn’t a timing point to set as the timing
          in these early outboard motors varies to
          control the speed of to motor.
          Here is a short video that should give you a
          better understanding of timing for these
          early outboard ignitions.
          https://youtu.be/Nz_o0J70Pas?si=N-OXJKYw1zbx9SwE
          Tubs

lyks2tinkr
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I sounds like it’s similar to a 1932 Elto Super A where the “timer” is on an excentric.

On the super A if the timer is all the way left looking at the motor than the points will not close to protect the coil.

beezer
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the info. Been playing with it today I watched the video on youtube on the Elto Super A outboard and the timer is the same. I had been trying to set a gap on the points but it turns out that I needed to set the timer a little to the left of the center then set the pistons a little after top dead center and then adjust the points to where they just start to open thats when they fire. When doing that the motor fire right up. With the timer set at seven o’clock it idled great then moving the timer to the right the motor speeds right up. I guess you don’t need to worry about a certian gap thickness. When the timer is all the way to the left, 9 o’clock the points have a 50 thousands gap.  Thanks again

pm-t2
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The prescribed way to set these points is to place the timer lever all the way to the extreme right (lever handle over port-side cylinder) then remove the cover off the rear of the timer housing. Set the point gap at 0.022″ (twenty-two thousands). Position of the pistons doesn’t matter, you just need to make sure the points are open 0.022″ when the flywheel is rotated. That is what is in the operator instruction booklet that I have. Hope this helps.

Best,
                PM T2

beezer
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I will try that today and see if it runs any better. It seems to run fairly good now but i haven’t put it in my tank to put it under a load. thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.