Home Forum Ask A Member 1933 Johnson J-65 restoration questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    redpackman
    Participant

I just picked up a 1933 Johnson J-65. It turns over and all the parts seem to be present. It even has what may be the original pull rope and handle.

After ascertaining that it turns over nicely, I tested the compression. Cold, of course, it was around 70-75 pounds. I assume that’s pretty good for an 89 year old engine.

Next I checked to see if it had spark. None. The plug wire was quite bent and torn and thus suspect where it came out of the stator plate. I got the fly-wheel off and all the parts seemed to be present. After removing the coil I could see that the plug wire was not making sufficient contact with it. It basically checks out with primary showing no ohms to ground and the secondary showing the proper resistance to ground. That was good news. Who knows where I’d find another. I buffed up the secondary button on the coil. A major question I have: Is it a good idea to solder the plug wire to that secondary button. I understand the original had some springs or other devices to hold the plug wire on the secondary “button” but could find none. I saw some, but not too much amounts of the “tar” I’ve read about elsewhere.

I’ve ordered a length of copper core 7mm plug wire I’ll use to replace the original, which was cracked and shortened because of the break I mentioned above where it came out of the stator plate. The motor had what looked like an original Champion 7 plug which cleaned up nicely. I assume the plug ought to be gapped to .30 .

The condenser appears to be an original with the wire to the points attached by a little nut holding the wire coming from the points to the threaded portion coming out of the end of the condenser. I checked the condenser’s uf reading and it came in at a lowly .136 uf. Is that within specs or hopelessly low?

Any suggestions or other cautions would be appreciated.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by redpackman. Reason: grammar
      The Boat House
      Participant

Been so long since I was in here I don’t remember
        what was original but mine is soldered on now.
        Condenser value is .12 uf.on the listing I have.
        Tubs

redpackman
        Participant

Thank you, Boat House.

That information and that photo are so very helpful. Thank you again!  Sounds like I have a good possibility of a runner!

I have a couple of old Champion outboards, one from 1941 and the 4K from 1948 that we inherited from my wife’s grandfather. I’ve got both of them running, but this is the first time I’ve worked on a Johnson.  Your advice and insight are MUCH appreciated.

The Boat House
          Participant

The odds are it will run. Most of these old motors
            never got used enough to be worn out but often
            weren’t stored well. Gas left in them, water in the
            gear case. Knocked over a few times denting the
            gas tank. And worst of all a damp, humid
            environment. I haven’t run mine in several years
            but the last time I did I ran it several times a day
            for a few weeks. Never let me down. I decided to
            sell it as I wasn’t using it. Got it all cleaned up and
            shinny an fell in love all over again.
            You know about 105 or Corn Head grease for the
            Gear case?
            Tubs

redpackman
            Participant

One final question:  what do I need to do to check the cooling system on this?  how does it work? I know how it works with the champions. they have a metal impeller and it seems to work well but I don’t know about this particular model of Johnson. I don’t want to be able to get it started and then burn it up because the cooling system isn’t working.

Tom
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

There is a plunger pump mounted on the lower unit.  It’s the casting the water tube goes into.  Remove the hex plugs one at a time and make sure the valves are free to move.  Grease up the lower unit.  Remove the water tube between the pump and the leg and blow through the fitting on the leg.  You should feel air coming out of the water outlet fitting halfway up the leg.  If not, you’ll need to find out where the blockage is.  Make sure the water inlet on the pump is not plugged up.  Replace the water tube and give it a shot.  You should see water coming out of the outlet fitting.

The Boat House
                Participant

Tom beat me to it but I spent so time on this so
                  this is what I can offer.
                  The cooling system is a pump.
                  A piston operates from an eccentric on the prop
                  shaft gear. You’ll find some wear on the bottom
                  of the piston but unless its extensive you should
                  be ready to go.
                  You’ll probably find some pitting on the eccentric.
                  Someone once told me the pits carry grease
                  providing lubrication. As most don’t have the
                  equipment to repair this we just run them as is.
                  It works for me. If the pitting is really severe
                  check the bottom of the piston from time to time.
                  You don’t want to wear a hole in it. You can solder
                  on a piece of copper or brass as a repair.
                  Most of us can handle that.
                  There are 2 check valves that should be looked at
                  to be sure they are not stuck or dirty. You can just
                  stick the pump in some water and work the piston
                  to see if it pumps. If you need to remove the caps
                  I suggest you clamp them in a vice and twist the
                  pump to remove them. They are often very tight
                  and the soft brass is torn up easily.
                  Tubs

redpackman
                  Participant

Ok, some success to report. I got it started this morning and it ran. Had it hanging down from its stand into a garbage can full fo water (no prop, obviously). The carb needle adjustment is REALLY fine. A 1/8 turn either way will start to kill the engine. But the sweet spot ran strong. But there wasn’t much water coming out of the hole on the side of the shaft so I shut it down. It was getting more than warm.

I’ve now taken apart the pump. The plunger seems to be in very good condition, no hole and not any bad scoring. I”m lucky. It moves freely. I’ve taken out the plugs to inspect the two valves. Do they operate simply by gravity to close? I’ve blown air into the lower line attached to the pump (now disconnected, of course) and it seems that the line is open and I can hear/feel air coming out of the discharge port on the end of the line that’s on the power shaft.  Is there supposed to be a screen over the open part of the pump that has one of the check valves in it? Mine has one that has been soldered in. I’ve cleaned that well since whoever soldered it was a little to aggressive with the solder and covered up probably 20% of the screen holes. Maybe that was my problem.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by redpackman.
                    Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

In looking at Tubs photo, I’d say “yes” to gravity on the check valves.
                      If the check valve faces and their seats look okay, and the piston is good,
                      it should pump ample water. I would redo the intake screen for sure though.

Prepare to be boarded!

redpackman
                      Participant

IMG_6043-2

I’ll try posting again. I was able to start the J-65 today. I noticed that the needle valve adjustment was very sensitive. A slight turn either way would cause the engine to lose power, but the sweet spot seemed to work well. I’m not sure about the water cooling pump, however. A little water was coming out of the outlet on the shaft, but not much and it was clear that the engine was heating up, so I shut it down.  I had been running it on it’s stand with the power shaft in a garbage can of water (no prop, obviously).

This afternoon, I removed the water pump and examined it. The piston is in very good condition it appears. No holes and the spring action seems good. I know from turning the engine over manually that it does move up and down smoothly. I removed the plugs and examined the check valves. They seemed to be clean as did the pump assembly in general.

I did notice that the screen on what I assume is the pump’s water intake was a little dirty and whoever had it soldered it in place and seemed to overdo it a bit, perhaps obstructing 20% of the screen. Perhaps it’ll do better now.

Do these engines water channels often plug up in the lines and in the power head? I tried blowing some compressed air through the lines and I think it was moving through, but the results were not conclusive.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.